1 PRINT IN THANET - COVER & BACK COVER & TEXT - FLIPBOOK v26 ZZZ - FAW - Flipbook - Page 27
... at the Queen’s printers.”…When a new legislation comes in, the
Queen has to sign off the new law. The apprentices would use a hand
press to print these on Vellum with the best one taken to Her Majesty
Advertising material [TTP]
Princes Street towards Cecil Square, and closed the old road running up
from Pump Lane. In 1958, a second floor was added.
In 1962, a new three-storey extension was built on Princes Street behind
the original Crescent Print Works. One Georgian town house remained, and
is still there today, sandwiched between the mid-century modern factory
buildings. The new works gave The Thanet Press almost 4,500 square
metres of floorspace. It included a basement paper store, three machine
rooms, offices, a bindery over two floors, staff canteen, and a modern
composing room, where type could be set. By 1977, they had over 260 staff.
Type was stored in the crypt of the church over the road, and the firm had
stores, warehouses and a garage elsewhere in the town.
From the 1950s through to the 1980s, The Thanet Press built a
reputation for high-quality printing. [14.] A special secure unit within
the print works, attracted niche clients like exam boards and enabled the
works to print government papers. [15.] The company produced specialist
academic and medical journals, as well as completing commercial work
for Procter & Gamble, Estée Lauder, Wedgwood and others. It printed
guides for Ministry of Works sites, like the Tower of London [168.] and