An Artist's Chelsea - Page 7



The William Sloane medal is sponsored by the Sloane Stanley Estate in memory of
its founder, William Sloane.
William Sloane
William Sloane (1658-1728) was the elder brother of the Sir Hans Sloane and the
two Sloanes and their descendants have been part of the history of Chelsea for
over 300 years.
In 1717 William Sloane bought land next to his brother, Sir Hans, who a few years
earlier had bought the Manor of Chelsea, and William eventually ended up with
65 acres with the heart bounded by what is today Old Church Street to Limerston
Street, Fulham Road to the King’s Road.
These 68 acres became known as the Sloane Stanley Estate and traces of the
family ownership can still be seen in many of the street names in the area.
The Estate has been passed down generations of the same family and today
remains a substantial landowner within old Chelsea.
The Estate has long associations with the arts and is pleased to be part of the
Chelsea Arts Society exhibition and to provide a medal to a chosen artist.





Powered by


Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook system
Search
Overview
Download as PDF
Print
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen