EXAMPLE - SCHOOL BROCHURE - Lewis & Clark Student Family eBook - Flipbook - Side 46
Lewis & Clark Montessori is organized as a nonprofit organization
under the laws of Oregon and has tax-exempt status under section
501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of the United States. As a
nonprofit corporation, the school is governed by a Board of Directors.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is composed of volunteer community members who have an interest in Lewis & Clark Montessori as a unique
educational opportunity. Board members have the primary responsibility for ensuring fulfillment of the school’s mission and are legally
accountable for governance of its operations.
The Executive Director attends all Board meetings but is not a voting
member. The Board sets school policies and is fiscally responsible for
the school’s resources. The Board selects and evaluates the Executive
Director, who is responsible for managing staff, developing the program, and the day- to-day operation of the school.
Board meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the month at 7:00
p.m. A list of current board members is available on the website.
THE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BOARD
• Governance of the legal and financial operation of the school
• Hiring, evaluating and collaborating with the Executive Director
to develop the organization
• Developing and ensuring adequate funding for the school’s programs and facilities
• Maintaining and amending bylaws and school policies.
• Making long-term plans and ensuring the Board’s own succession.