Habonim Catalog Interactive 2021 V04 070621 - Flipbook - Page 23
Our mirror-polished solid balls ensure tight shutoff and long service life. All balls come with
specially rounded leading edges to eliminate excessive seat wear during rotation. Our balls
technology can supports verity of metals (some are available only upon request) such as
Stainless Steel 316 (CF8M), Alloy-C276, Alloy-C22, Monel 400, 254SMO, Duplex, Super Duplex,
Inconel 625, Titanium and more. Ball materials other than Stainless Steel 316 (CF8M), are marked
for clear identification.
There are different styles related to the ball port itself:
• Standard port ball (also known as reduced port) - The flow through the ball is one size smaller
than the pipe's size resulting in a flow area smaller than the pipe’s area. The reduced flow
area increases the flow velocity (assuming a constant flow discharge) and the head-loss
over the valve.
• Full port ball - Has an over-sized ball so that the ball’s port is the same as the pipe's inner
diameter, thus reducing friction loss. Flow is unrestricted but the valve is larger so fullport balls are typically used where free flow is particularly important such as in pipelines
that require pigging.
• Tube size ball (also known as true port) has a port which is identical to the tube’s inside
diameter. This configuration is used mainly in the pharmaceutical industry where dead legs
and pockets of contamination are unacceptable.
Pressure equalizing hole
Balls typically have a hole in the stem slot to equalize the pressure over the ball sphere. The
pressure inside the ball port and the pressure in the valve cavity are identical and hence no stress
is applied to the ball sphere. The pressure equalizing hole is eliminated in the following cases:
• High surface finish requirements, mechanically polished or electro-polished
• Diverter valves
• Valves with cavity filler seats
Minimum stress on the
ball by adding a pressure
• Double block and bleed valves
• Pharmaceutical or other applications with very high sanitary requirements