HTR Magazine June21 Web - Flipbook - Page 20
We have recently acquired 3 old editions of The Church Monthly, circa 1890s. There
are some interesting bits in them which others may like to read. Times were certainly
different in those days when everyone went to church.
Here is another excerpt from 1893 …. The Parishioners got moving very quickly in
A Faculty has been obtained for the following work in the church.
1. Removal of the Gallery
2. Removal of the Pews, and substitution of chairs
3. Restoration of the roof of the Vestry
4. Clearing out of the Tower Arch
5. Removal of present Ringer’s floor
6. Repairs of the groined ceiling in the Tower
7. The opening of the old doorway to the turret staircase
8. Repair of the steps in that staircase
The Gallery, Pews and Vestry roof will now be taken in hand.
During the month of September, the gallery and pews have been removed
from the Parish Church and chairs placed throughout the Nave and Aisles.
The roof of the Vestry, that is the south aisle of the Chancel, is under repair.
At Orton, too, the pews have been removed and chairs substituted. The
little church is wonderfully improved in every respect by this renovation.
All done within a month!