Blaze e-catalogue - Catalog - Page 85
Sydney Infirmary, 1870
During Osburn’s time, the Sydney Infirmary and
Dispensary occupied the central wing of the
Rum Hospital located on Macquarie Street.
Charles Percy Pickering, 1870, SLNSW, SPF/176
Right and overleaf
The Twenty-Fifth Annual Report of the Sydney
Infirmary and Dispensary
In 1869, the Sydney Infirmary and Dispensary
treated 842 patients for a wide range of ailments.
Of these, one sixth died.
NRS 905 [4/698] letter 70/5441, pp. 16–17
Lucy Osburn and Sydney Hospital nurses
As Osburn cemented her authority at the
Sydney Infirmary and Dispensary, she increased
the number of Nightingale-trained nurses. Here,
she is pictured in black with nurses outside the
Nightingale wing which was built in 1869 to
house female staff.
Photographer unknown, 1870, Museum of Applied Arts
and Sciences, Object no. 96/168/1