The Old Diocesan Issue5 Mar2020 - Page 81

playing for WP Schools in his
last three years at Bishops, and
representing SA Schools in his
last two, the latter as captain.
After school he joined his older
brother, Derrick (1944F), and his
father in a motor business in
Villiersdorp. He remained passionate
about cricket, though, and during the
season would travel to Cape Town
every Saturday to play club cricket
for Alma, representing WP for 14
years. He was a member of the
WP teams that won the Currie
Cup in 1953 and 1956 (in which four
other ODs participated – Clive van
Ryneveld (1945G), Dick Westcott
(1945O), Gerald Innes (1950G) and
Hugh Roy (1953S)). In 1959, John
broke the Currie Cup record for the
most dismissals in a match (9) – a
record he held for nearly 30 years.
John took a keen interest in the
OD Union and organised many of
his matric-year reunions, the last
of which he arranged just a few
months before his death in 2019.
After he retired from the family
business in 1988, he took up fruitfarming with his wife Evelyn (to
whom he was married for almost
60 years). They moved to Woodside
Village, Rondebosch in 2012. He
passed away on 16 September, and is
survived by his children Robert (1974F),
Jillian and Dianne, five grandchildren
and two great-grandchildren.
Born in Cape
Town into a
Scottish family, Thomas Gibson
(1941O) went to Bishops Prep
and then College, where besides
his academic pursuits he learnt to
fence, box, shoot and play the organ.
Immediately after matriculating
in 1941, he enlisted for combat in
World War II, joining the Royal Natal
Carbineers, which participated in the
North African campaign and then
joined the 8th and 5th armies in
the Italian campaign. (See p74.) He
fought at the bitterly fierce battles
at Monte Cassino, and was later
wounded three times as the armies
progressed up through Italy. When
the war ended, he was among the
Allied forces assigned to monitor
peace on the outskirts of Milan.
After the war Tom decided to enter
the priesthood. He was ordained in
Salisbury Cathedral in December
1963 and served his curacy in
a nearby parish for three years.
A parish in Wiltshire followed,
before he was offered the parish at
Badminton, Gloucestershire, where
he was the vicar of four churches.
Although officially retired, he
became an “itinerant vicar” in Italy,
in particular in Venice, at Cadenabbia
on Lake Como and in Palermo. He
was also an assistant priest in a
church in Bath until his passing.
Tom died aged 95 in Bath, UK.
He leaves his widow, Gloria, and
three of their five children.
A legend of the
South African
wine industry, and synonymous
with one of the country’s leading
brands, Douglas Green Jr (1947O)
passed away in Somerset West on
10 November at the age of 89. His
father, Douglas Green, founded the
eponymous wine company in Paarl
in 1942, growing it into a household
name for quality wines.
Douglas Jr joined his father in the
business; but he also worked with
Anton Rupert, owner of Distillers
Corporation, and for Scotch whisky
producer William Grant. This took
him and his family to Johannesburg,
from where he oversaw distribution
of Grant’s whisky in Africa, Australia,
New Zealand and the South Pacific.
Douglas is survived by his children,
five grandchildren and five greatgrandchildren.
(1952F) was educated at Waterkloof
House Preparatory School, before
coming to the College in 1949.
He was academically gifted
and enthusiastic about sports,
playing right wing for the 2nd XV.
A career in law seemed to be
a foregone conclusion: two of his
De Villiers great-uncles had been
Chief Justices (see p46), with
one of them – Sir Henry de
Villiers – presiding over the
National Convention of 1908/
1909. Michael spent a year at
the University of Pretoria and
two years at the University of
Cape Town, where he obtained
his BA (Law). Carrying on his
education at Oxford, he spent
three years reading Law for a
BA (Hons) Jurisprudence degree,
at the same time studying at the
Inner Temple in London.
In 1961, Michael returned to
South Africa and served as an
articled clerk in Johannesburg
(with Webber, Wentzel, Hofmeyr,
Turnbull and Co). In 1965 he
was admitted to the Bar of
the Supreme Court (Transvaal
Provincial Division), and practised
as a junior advocate for the next
19 years. In 1981 he was appointed
as senior counsel, getting an
appointment as an acting judge
two years later. In 1984 he became
a permanent judge. He retired from
the Bench in 2004.
Michael married his wife, Sarah,
in 1963. She survives him, as do their
children Josephine, Matthew (1985F)
and Hannah, and their grandchildren
Michael, Luke and Connor. (See p48.)

Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen