Sasol Limited Climate Change Report 2021 - Book - Page 19
A NET ZERO AMBITION
Our Energy Business (CONTINUED)
We strongly believe
that if society is to
succeed in curbing
climate change, we
have to collaborate.
depends on creating
of partners. As
such, we use
direct our efforts.
We aim to be
the nexus for
value chains by
ones. Our role as an
extends to creating
anchor demand for
for green financing.
To be fossil-fuel-free
Partnerships across multiple dimensions to achieve our vision
Carbon from air
Sasol's needs to achieve Net Zero:
Through our framework, we focus on evaluating our strengths, weaknesses and identified
areas where a compelling value proposition can be offered to and from prospective partners.
We have used this framework to evaluate our recent partnerships, which are delivering valueadding decarbonisation benefits. A set of Sasol needs have been crystallised to help us define
the partnerships we prioritise.
Successful partnerships to date, aligned to our needs:
generation of cost-advantaged energy from renewable sources
production of affordable green hydrogen
supply of affordable sustainable carbon (eg DAC and biomass)
access to low-cost financing instruments
potential to be an off-taker of sustainable products
ability to support development of an enabling and conducive policy framework
Policy and Incentives
Policy and Incentives
Proactively evaluating and developing new technology
offerings with disruptive and innovative technology
providers on electrolysis for green hydrogen and CCU
(industrial sources, DAC, etc), to name a few. We are
considering the options to progress CCS through the CGS.
• Feasibility study for 200 MW electrolyser for green
hydrogen (LEN project)
• 420 MW renewable energy supply for the LEN project
• Support of small- to medium-scale modular
PtX solutions, utilising the FT catalyst
• Research on FT catalyst for PtX
• Co-development of PtX facilities
Exploring supply opportunities for biomass as a sustainable
• Strategic partnership to supply biomass in the
• Pursuing biomass supply opportunities for the LEN
• Soliciting information related to biomass supply projects
through an RFI process1
Targeted opportunities with potential financiers on our
• Strategic partnership to jointly drive the development of
the hydrogen economy
• Exploring catalytic projects to progress further
Leveraging value chain partnership ecosystems to optimise
the cost of producing sustainable products.
• Strategic alliances to jointly evaluate stimulation of the
hydrogen mobility sector in South Africa
approach for a
Targeted engagements with key governments and
associations to accelerate hydrogen-related policy for greater
In South Africa, a market structure and an enabling policy
environment is required, lead by government, however,
private sector participation is critical to drive the pace of
change for mutual benefit.
• Joined the Hydrogen Council and Global Alliance on
Powerfuels, who are major global policy advocates for
hydrogen and PtX-based economies
1. Work is underway and will be reported on in the 2022 Climate Change Report.
Sasol Climate Change Report 2021