ANNUAL REPORT 2020 WEB - Flipbook - Page 10
On May 16, 1973 the ground breaking
for the new E. M. “Ted” Dealey Animal
Care Center was led by “Anthony” a
trained German Shepherd, assisted
by Harold Clark, George W. Jalonick, III,
Don Cates and Joe Dealey, for whose
father the shelter was named. The new
shelter was occupied in August.
The Dallas Animal Protective League
opened a shelter on Industrial
Boulevard (now Riverfront Boulevard),
one block south of Commerce Street.
On June 7, 1888, The Dallas
Morning News announced
an organizational meeting
for the Society for the
Prevention of Cruelty to
A charter of incorporation
was granted by the State
of Texas on September
22nd to the Dallas Animal
Protective League (APL).
10 | SPCA OF TEXAS 2018
On October 16, 1990 the
name of the organization
was again changed. The
new name, SPCA of Texas,
reflected state-wide efforts
to stop the neglect and abuse
George W. Jalonick, III became
Chairman of the Board of Directors.
He and Joe Dealey, son of Ted Dealey, were
the driving force for fundraising for the
shelter at 362 South Industrial Boulevard. A
development committee, headed by Russell
H. Perry, President of Republic Financial
Services, and made up of more than 65
prominent Dallas citizens, was organized.
The Society for Animal
founded in 1951 by a group
of interested animal lovers.
The Overton Road Shelter
was later built for the SAP with
funds donated by E. M. “ Ted”
Dealey, President of A.H. Belo
Corporation and Publisher of the
Dallas Morning News.
Jr. Spay/Neuter Clinic,
which would later become
the Myron K. Martin Spay/
Neuter & Wellness Clinic,
was constructed next to the
Dealey Animal Care Center
and opened in November of
1976. The first animal to be
neutered was Sox the cat.