Park Home Resident Magazine Christmas 2017 - Page 37






lectrical accidents

in the home can

pose a more significant risk to vulnerable people. This is often

due to old or poor-quality

housing that contains faulty

electrics and appliances.

Our statistics show that

one million people, who

are over 75, live in homes

that are not warm enough,

are in a state of disrepair

or do not have modern

facilities. These homes

can be dangerous as they

don’t meet basic electrical

safety standards, and don’t

include life-saving devices

such as a modern fusebox,

circuit breakers and PVC

wiring. Sometimes a health

condition such as dementia

or Parkinson’s can increase

the risk of an electrical accident, as these conditions

cause reduced mobility and

memory. If you’re worried

about your park home, or

concerned about a neighbour

or relative, read on for some

simple things that you can do.


Light Fittings

Check the Smoke Alarm


Plugs and Sockets

Any signs of overheating such as

curled labels, discolouration or

scorching should be a

warning sign. If you see any signs

of cracking or burn marks around

the light fittings stop using them

immediately and get them checked

by a registered electrician.

Every property should have a

working smoke alarm and batteries should be changed every

year. You can test the smoke

alarm by pressing the ‘Test’

button. If there’s no smoke alarm

then contact your local Fire and

Rescue Service.

Cables should be in good condition with no signs of damage,

cracking or splitting and should

be enclosed in a PVC sheath.

Cuts, damage or signs of excessive wear and tear mean that the

lead or plug might need replacing. Try to avoid trailing cables

across the floor or under carpets

and rugs as this can be a trip


If your electrics are over 50

years old they’ll need checking

and updating. Electrics can also

become damaged or faulty which

will require professional attention. Warning signs – round pin

sockets, braided flex hanging

from ceiling light fittings, sockets

mounted in skirting boards, damaged plugs and sockets, visible

burn marks, crackling sounds or

excessive heat being emitted.


The festive season is just around the

corner and park homes across England

are twinkling with fairylights and

Christmas cheer. One in twelve people

confess to leaving their lights on overnight, potentially endangering their

home as they can overheat and produce

a fire hazard. Give your lights a break and

switch them off when you’re not around

to enjoy them. Avoid overloading

sockets, extension leads and adaptors.


Recognised by the government and industry as the leading campaigning charity, Electrical Safety First has obtained

technical authority on electrical safety.

Campaigning on behalf of consumers

and electrical trade professionals, get in

touch to improve your safety


020 3463 5100

Check the Fuse-box

Check for RCD's

Your fusebox controls the electrics in your home which is why

it’s important that you check it’s

working safely. All fuseboxes

should have a main switch and

fuses and/or circuit breakers.

It should NOT have a wooden

back, cast iron switches or what

looks like a mix of different fuseboxes. If your circuit-breakers trip

or fuses regularly blow, then it’s

worth getting them checked by a

registered electrician.

Residual Current Devices are

life-saving device that cuts out

power if there’s an accident and

can prevent you from receiving

a fatal electric shock. To check

whether you have an RCD press

the ‘Test’ or ‘T’ button. If you do

have one then pressing it will

switch off the power to the areas

of the home that it protects. If

you don’t have an RCD in your

fusebox or it’s not working then

you should use plug-in RCDs for

all the sockets in your home. R

Words supplied by

Electrical Safety First.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen