FL02 PDF (212pp) - Page 117

Wellington Boots and Waders
40.12 common caught on the 3rd of January.
back to the car for the remainder of
my kit. I just managed to get the barrow back round to the swim, and had
most of it unloaded as the rain began
to fall. I got everything sorted, walked
all three rods out using the bankside
markers, and clipped them up on the
marks. I was fishing within an hour of
getting down, and even managed a
couple of hours’ kip before waking up
just after 7.30am. It was raining
steadily now, but it had been worth
getting up extra early and making the
effort to get down, as I had set up in
the dry and was already fishing.
There were only four of us down,
with Iain in the Sluices, Mike in the
New Swim in Bramble, and his son
Lee was on Daisy Point, also in Bramble, so it wasn’t packed. The bait was
due to be delivered during the morning and as it was freezer bait it normally turns up around 9am, but I
wanted to make sure that I wouldn’t
be hanging around at home waiting
for it to turn up. I didn’t want to be off
the water for much more than one
hour, so I reeled in just before 10am
and nipped around to the Sluices to
see Iain. Iain was full of compliments
and called me a full list of expletives
and a dodgy geezer for coming down
in the middle of the night, but that is
something that I have always done.
Iain had caught one during the morning, and had a scraper 30lb common
whilst I spent my time with him. It
was only a quick visit, and once I had
done the pics for him I nipped home
to get some fresh bait. On my return
just before midday I learnt that Iain
had caught another – one of the commons at 39lb15oz, and if that isn’t
honest angling I don’t know what is.
He had caught all of his fish from the
same spot a little way down the left
margin by a dying weedbed, and I’m
sure he would have caught a few
more if it wasn’t for one really selfish
member who set up right next door to
him, which meant Iain had to reel in
and move his rods. Well out of order,
and I think most of the syndicate
thought so as well, but luckily the
angler in question has left the syndicate – knob. I fished that night, but
decided to pack up early and go home
as I wasn’t feeling well, and this was
the start of my health going downhill
b e f o r e m y s u r g e r y, w h i c h w a s
planned for May. I just didn’t realise
how this would effect my fishing over
the coming few months.
As I said earlier, over the next few
months my fishing time was cut dramatically, and I just couldn’t string
any time together and get on fish. The
only half decent session I did manage
during the October to Christmas
period was a two-nighter. I set up
originally in Lawrie’s, but blanked for
the first 24hrs. Now I did something
very unusual for me at Welly and that
was to move. I wasn’t bothered about
moving, and during my time at Horseshoe I would quite happily fish five or
six swims in day in order to stay on
fish. However, Steve from Yateley
Angling said to me before I got my
Welly ticket that if you chase the fish
at Welly you will struggle, let them
come to you. This is the single most
important piece of advice I have had
about Welly, and it is something that I
abide by. This trip however I decided
to move, and move I did right around
the other side of the lake into the Animal Farm next to the Sluices, Why? I
don’t know.
I ended up fishing a swim called
the Lifebuoy, which is opposite the
end of Boathouse. It had a massive
dying weedbed out to the left of the
swim, which was still floating. This
made placing the baits very easy, as
you only had to cast up to the edge of
the weed. It was all very visual, and
all at close range so even baiting up
with the catapult would be easier.
The bottom here is firm and covered
in a fine layer of silt, something that
the Welly fish love. All three rods were


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen