FL02 PDF (212pp) - Page 103

In Search Of Monster Carp
absolutely gutted. A couple of weeks
later they got the water level down
more, and then they started netting
the fish out of Yeoveney, and it was
mind-blowing, the size of some of
these fish they were getting out. I
think the biggest one was another
36lb leather; there was no 40lb’er, but
obviously they had been in a bit of
distress over a period of time while it
had been draining. They were getting
these fish out, and putting them in
dustbins. There was a bloke there, Bill
Hales; he wrote a few books, and he
wanted photographs of these fish. I
helped him, and he tried to take a
photograph of me, but I wouldn’t let
him because I was quite upset about
it all really, because for one thing, we
were losing the potential, and they
were putting them into Longfield.
I said to one of these bods when
they were putting them in, “Surely
you’re putting too many fish into this
little water?” He said, “Well to be honest with you, the amount we have put
in so far is too many for the lake; it
would be alright if it was a barren
lake, but it already has fish in it.” So
that was then they decided that any
more they got out of Yeoveney, they
would put into Wraysbury, so the rest
went in there. To cut a long story
short, it was a couple of years, well 18
months or so, since the 36lb’er had
been seen, and then Colin Swaydon
caught it at 40lb-odd. I think he had it
a couple of times at around that
weight, but then they got gill fluke
and a lot of them died. However,
unbeknown to a lot of people, someone who I won’t mention caught the
38lb fish off the surface, took it and
put it into Wraysbury, and it’s never
been seen since. It got caught a few
times in Longfield around the 34lb
mark. So that was the Yeoveney
Actually, just going back to the
Yeoveney bit a minute, when they
drained it all down, they got as many
of the fish out as they could. Kenny
and I went over there and we got a
load of tench and what-have-you, and
transferred them over to the lake next
to Yeoveney, which turned out to be a
lake called Colnemere. We thought
that that was a good water because it
was rich, it was right next to
Yeoveney, and we knew how rich
Yeoveney was, so we decided to put a
few fish into Colnemere. I knew
Kenny put about fourteen fish in from
Wraysbury Two as well, the biggest
one being a mirror of about 14lbs. I
don’t know, but it might well be the
black mirror of Colnemere. We also
put a few fish into Redmire, and
bought back some little commons
from Redmire. Whether they survived
or not, I’m not sure. Well I think they
did, because I saw a photograph of
Malin; he’d had a common out, and it
looked a bit like a Redmire fish! Funnily enough, I’ve fished over there a
few times since then, and I bumped
into Phil Thompson; he was fishing
there, and I hooked and lost a good
common. I was halfway up a tree,
watching, and I didn’t think for one
minute it was going to take my bait,
because they were so canny these
fish. Before I knew it, it had taken the
bait, but I lost that – I was a bit gutted
about that. We thought we’d be able
to get on there and fish, and we fished
it a few times, but then all of a sudden, the wildlife people or someone
started kicking us off – we had a lot of
hassle, so we never fished it again.
History in the making.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen