FL02 PDF (212pp) - Page 111

In Search Of Monster Carp
Redmire 1983.
big ones out of there, but I went back
to number two a few years later,
because of what I had seen all those
years before, and the fish we had
caught. We went on there, did a
proper baiting up programme, and I
did catch quite a number. This was
the year of the hurricane, and I was
thinking in that there would be quite
a few 30’s in there by then, but there
weren’t. I caught one 30lb’er out of
there, and Kenny had the same one at
30lbs too; we call it Single Scale, and I
think it’s over 40lbs now if it’s still
alive. We weren’t catching the numbers, but what we were catching was
a lot of big commons, well, a lot of
mid-20 commons that never been
caught before, which amazed me
because I couldn’t catch the commons at Wraysbury One. I knew there
were a lot of commons in Wraysbury,
but very rarely did they come out. If I
sacked them up overnight for photographing, I’d open up the sack in the
morning, and it would be full of swan
mussel shells, so they were obviously
on natural food, but they was still
picking up the hookbaits, and the
baits that we were putting out. That
was an eye opener on there, but why
it should have been, I don’t know.
So then I went back and fished
Longfield after the fish went in there.
That’s right, I was fishing with Richie,
and we went up onto the Cons Club
because Richie was a member. We
went one August Bank Holiday, but I
wasn’t allowed to night fish, so he
took me to this spot and said, “You
can have the left-hand spot, but I’m
having the right-hand spot,” or something like that, and we waited for it to
get light. It was one of those days
when the mist was coming up off the
surface, and I thought we weren’t
going to catch much. The sun came
out, it started getting hot, and all of a
sudden the fish were on the surface. I
was thinking to myself, “I ought to
reel the rod in and put a floater out
there or something,” and with that,
one of us had a screaming run. In
those days we used to let the handle
spin, and it was spinning like a
good‘un. Either he was into a fish or I
was, and it was unbelievable – it went
on all day long. We could see these
fish cruising along the surface where
our baits were, and they’d go straight
to it and we’d get a run! The amount
of people that came round was amazing. Funnily enough Tim Paisley
arranged to come down to see us,
because he wanted us to join the
Carp Society, and he was going to
come and have a chat with us on the
bank, so he came along that weekend. Bob Davis, who runs the Savay
Syndicate, was fishing up the bank,
and he kept coming up; he couldn’t
believe what he was seeing. In the
evening when it got dark, I had to reel
in, but the next day, it just carried on.
Bob brought a load of different
flavours down, asking to see if it was
anything like what we were using, but
I can’t remember what we had now. I
did have it written down, but we had
loads of 20’s and 30’s between us; it
was just unbelievable.
Then Richie said he fancied going
to Wraysbury, so I said, “Ok.” I had
been having a walk round, and I knew
that the fish were in the South Lake.
In those days we used to go fishing
on a Thursday through to the Sunday,
and I said to him, “Look, I’ve got to go
to my nan’s funeral on Thursday, but if
you get there before me, go in the car
park, and it doesn’t matter where you
pick, anywhere in the car park, pick a
swim and we’ll fish from there.” By
t h i s I m e a n t o f f D o u g l a s L a n e.
“Alright,” he said. So anyway, I went
to the funeral, came back, pulled into
the car park, and he was on a spot
that Phil Thompson caught… yeah
whatever. Anyway, he was in there, so
I pulled up over there to see him, and
he said “You didn’t go to a funeral like
that, did you?” I said, “Why, what’s
the matter? I haven’t got any black
clothes.” But anyway, we had a chat,
he made me a cup of tea and whatever, and he said to me, “Where are
you going to fish then?” I said, “I’ll go
up the other end of the car park.” I
didn’t really expect to catch anything.
I don’t know if we had anything or
not, but I think we saw a couple of
fish roll or crash out. I had a little plastic dinghy, and he said to me, “I want
to get some bait further out,” so I said,
“Well, we’ll pump up the dinghy.”
Anyway I said, “I can’t swim mate, so
I’m not going out there.” So he got in
this little plastic dingy and said,
“Bloody hell Pete, this is no good, we
want a proper boat.” I said, “It’s
alright, there’s nothing wrong with
that, mate.”
So anyway, we went back the following weekend, having put a bit of
bait in that week. I really can’t
remember, but I know I had a few
takes, and I was losing the fish; they
were going like there was no tomorrow, they were taking me down to the
backing – right to the knot, and either
the hook would open up or the line
would part, bearing in mind I only had
glass rods. Richie had carbon rods,
the new Sportex carbons from Carp
Cellar, but he was losing them as well.
We probably had about a dozen runs
between us, but we kept losing them.
We were pulling our hair out; I mean I
was throwing rods into the bushes


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen