FL02 PDF (212pp) - Page 89

Fishing In The Edge
The Perch, but this time being a little
more cautious on my approach. To my
shock every grain was gone, completely cleaned out. I got myself comfortable behind a bush, and decided
to sit back and try to discover the culprits before introducing more bait, as
there were plenty of tench in the
bushes to the right of the swim. After
only a couple of minutes a common
turned up, only around 20lbs, followed
by two 25lb mirrors and then a sight I
will never forget, a huge common of
around 30lb with a slight scale
towards its tail and a slightly damaged mouth. I couldn’t believe what I
was seeing, and only 6ft from the
34lb 14oz The Mirror
After getting my heart back to
somewhere near normal, I rushed
back to get my gear from the motor,
trying to conjure up some sort of plan
of how I was going to set a hook into
one of those beautiful carp. After very
slowly and stealthily setting up one
rod, I placed it down onto the spot
with a single grain of artificial corn as
a hookbait and a scoop of hemp and
corn over the top. There was a problem; I was using a braided hooklength
at the time, and it was easily visible to
me on the bank, so I figured if I could
see it from the bank, the carp would
have no problems seeing it right in
front of their noses. So I quickly
changed over to a fluorocarbon hook-
length, which did the job, and I sat
back for a smoke, happy with my battle plan. Less than three hours later I
was battling my first Fox Pool carp.
After a few dodgy moments in the
weed, the culprit was soon in the net.
At 23lb the common was far from a
monster, but my first pool carp was a
very special moment, and more
importantly, I now at last had something to work on that was successful.
I would like to show you a picture of
this fish, but the photographer
decided to photograph a group of
stars over my left shoulder instead.
At 4.35am the rod
screamed off and
I was playing an
angry carp, but
minutes later the
fish was beaten
and was in the
arms of the net
Over the next few weeks I managed to catch five more from similar
spots around the pool, but the biggest
was the common that I first caught.
This struck me as rather strange,
because after watching the fish
around the lake, the ones I caught
were nearly always with bigger fish,
yet I’d never hooked one. Pretty much
every bite was between 4.30am and
7am, so with this in mind, I decided to
set up normally and wake up at first
light to observe what was going on.
The alarm clock awoke me at 4am,
and begrudgingly I crawled out of my
warm bed and crept over to some
cover behind a branch no more than
6ft from where I was fishing. Unfortunately, being built like an Ethiopian,
after 20 minutes or so I was rather
uncomfortable to say the least.
I remember thinking that the best
idea was to go back to kip, when right
on a cue a group of five fish entered
the area and dropped straight down
onto the spot. The big common was
present, along with an equally big
mirror, and the other three were
around the 20lb mark. I recognised
one as a fish I’d caught the previous
week. The pain in my knobbly knees
was soon gone, as I was blown away
as to how close you could get to these
fish, and they didn’t have a clue I was
watching them! Watching in fascina-


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen