FL09June - Page 162

The Manor
made a last attempt at freedom. I
could see that it was a good mirror at
that point, and was probably touching
40lbs. I readied the net, and got the
fish back up to the surface, but it wasn’t ready, and fought its way back
down, forcing me to give a little line.
At this point it all went horribly
wrong for the second time, and a
bloody jack pike cut me clean off! I
even saw it strike at my line just
below the water level, and can only
put it down to sun glistening against
the wet line. My heart sank, and the
rod ended up deep in the bush behind
me. I’d had three takes resulting in
just one carp landed, and through no
real fault of my own. I was not a
happy chap, but there was no point in
moping around feeling sorry for
myself, so I plucked the rod from the
bush and started to re-rig it to get it
back out there. After all, the fish was
probably not alone, and there was still
a chance of another one yet.
With the rod back out and some
more freebies put out around it, I sat
down and had a think about the positioning of the right hand rod, as I had
not had so much as a liner from it for
the entire length of my stay. I decided
It was 6am and
as I picked it up
the spool was
churning at a
rate of knots
to put a fair amount of bait out over
the area in the hope that they might
just come in on it over the next few
days for a munch. I broke up 4kg of
15mm baits and mixed it with a couple of kilos of large chops (pelletshaped readymades) then ‘pulted it all
out to the spot. The hookbait was still
a snowman, but this time with a yellow 10mm pineapple topper, as I
wanted something a little visual over
the top of all the natural coloured bait.
I was hoping this would do the trick,
but only time would tell.
Monday came and went without so
much as a bleep, and I didn’t see anything in front of me either, which did
nothing for my confidence, but Tuesday morning was a different matter
altogether. Just after first light a good
fish showed out over the middle rod
up against the reeds, and I started to
get liners a little while after too. During the course of the day I must have
seen over a dozen fish show over both
the middle and left rods, but still nothing over the right hand one. Just
before dark I received a massive liner
over the middle, far margin rod, to the
point that I really thought it was
away, but the line settled back down
to its original position and nothing
came of it. I sat up ‘til just after midnight watching the water, and saw a
further six or seven fish top out in
front of me. I was convinced that I
was going to get a take at any
moment, but nothing happened and I
must have nodded off.
The next thing I knew I was being
woken by a fast take on the middle
rod. It was 6am and as I picked it up
the spool was churning at a rate of
knots. The fish kited out into the middle of the lake, and I soon had things
under control. I couldn’t help but
think about the two fish I had already
lost, and I was determined not to let
this one get away. A few minutes later
I slipped the net under a long, lean
common, and let out a big sigh of
relief. This one didn’t get away, and I
was once again a happy man. On the
scales it went 27lb, and after a couple
of quick pictures I slipped it back. I
retied another rig, clipped it on, then
got the rod back out, and put another
20 baits out over it. An hour or so after
the recast a fish stuck its head out
just left of the rod. Things were looking good for another fish, and I put the
kettle on feeling quietly confidant that
another take would be forthcoming.
At a little after 11am, the middle rod
was away again, and after a short
scrap I netted a chunky little mirror of
26lbs. I took a few photos, slipped it
back, and then got the rod back out.
Once back out, I put some more bait
out over it, and then tidied things up.
On moving the unhooking mat, I
couldn’t help but notice how much
bait had been passed out. On closer
inspection it was obvious that the
bait was mine, as I could clearly smell
(Above) A moody sunset in March.
(Below) Diffusion leaders simply
disappear in weed.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen