FL09June - Page 98

All Things Riggy
(Above) Scene of my brace – Waiting
(Below) Second part of the brace –
Chunky at 42lb 12oz.
My next concern was at the bead. I
felt that blobbing alone was far too
risky, as if this were able to pull free
through the bore of the bead, the rig
would fall apart, and a hook would be
left in the lost carp’s mouth. However
if an overhand knot was made in the
doubled-over 22lb fluorocarbon hooklink a bulky knot was formed, and
there was no way this could pull
through the small bore in the plastic
shatterproof bead. To doubly make
sure, the ends behind the knot were
lighter blobbed, thus eliminating any
possibility of the knot coming
undone. I also felt that the boom section would always fall straight and flat
if more movement was created, so
instead of tying straight to a swivel
each end, I decided to tie the chosen
fluorocarbon, which was 22lb stiff
Subterfuge, with loop knots to each
swivel. This way I could, by placing a
baiting needle handle in each loop,
stretch out the hook link, keeping it
not only nice and straight, but forming the loops nice and round. This
way if the rig was cast onto anything
other than hard, smooth gravel, the rig
had enough freedom of movement to
always fall out away from the lead
and lie tight to the lakebed, thus eliminating any chance of detection from
the carp. On this subject I chose to
use a lead clip setup so should the
lead land in silt, the rig could still
pivot and fall out to the side without
the rig sticking up off the bottom.
From the end of February 2004, I
was continuously able to get in the
Curly Wurly swim, and with the new
rig I had caught a few tench and the
odd huge bream the lake contains.
This gave me the confidence that the
rig would still hook well even though
the pop-up section was only 1 1/4
inches high. As always I was adding
enough putty to overweight my corkballed pop-up, and fishing on a very
hard polished gravel spot at 45yds. I’d
been applying my 15mm boilies regularly to my two spots now for a
month, and was pleased to be able to
get back in the swim for the last few
days in the last week of March.
I'd turned up after work, so as a
mate Matty was moving out, I jumped
straight in and set up in the dark.
Having fished the swim for the past
four trips, I was confident of getting
the rigs onto their respective spots
without too much grief. I tied on a
pop-up to a newly tied 90 degree
bead rig and checking the buoyancy
in a cup of water and opening out the
angle slightly to about 100 degrees,
had the hook flipping into my hand
when pulled across. Sending the 3 1/2
oz pear lead out towards Trumptons, I
feathered it down to where I thought
the gravel hump was at about 45yds,
and feeling the lead down through
bout 7ft of water the lead absolutely
cracked down – just what I was looking for. I couldn't have bettered that
first cast, so I left it there and fired out
15 boilies to the approximate area.
At 8am the next morning the rig
had done its job. Although unsure
whether it was a carp at first, I quickly
gained line, and pulling the fish away
from the overhanging marginal
bushes to my left, a big yellow flank
turned over. It was a mirror for sure,
and at first sight it looked like
Chunky, which would have been a
repeat capture. After a short tussle in
front of the platform the short, fat
unmistakable shape of Ugloe slipped
over the net cord, and my third mirror
of the season had fallen to the new


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen