FL10 (All 218 pages) - Page 162

In Search of Monster Carp
Cottage Bay 1984/85.
fish and one thing and another, it had
been quite an eye opener, but the
actual fishing at Savay was starting to
get quite difficult. I mean we do lose a
fish or two a year, and sometimes you
might lose half a dozen, but there
might be years when you don’t lose
anything at all. We never lost anything this last year, but having said
that, over the years stocks do go
down, so back in 1988, Peter decided
he was going to stock it. Peter used to
do quite a lot of netting, even before
his Savay days, and he still had all the
equipment and the knowhow. He had
a deal with the National Trust, I don’t
know the full story, but he used to
stock their waters with fish, and leave
them to grow on. Then when he came
and netted them, he’d sell them, and
the National Trust would be given a
percentage. Anyway, one of these
waters was at Claremont, which was
a big place, so we went down to
Claremont, and we did a netting
there, and it was my job to grade the
fish up. We netted quite a few fish, but
some of them weren’t that clever. All
the good ones we kept, and I wound
up with 100 carp for Savay, mostly
between 6-8lb with a few commons
that were a little bit bigger up to
about 7-9lb. I think there were 40
commons and 60 mirrors. There was
one mirror that was 21lb, which was
the biggest one there. Peter had had
some good feedback from other lakes
that he gave these fish to; they had
exceptional growth rates, so he
decided we’d put them in Savay. As I
say, we stocked them in 1988, and
these fish have gone on to be tremendous fish.
One of the things that I haven’t
spoken about is the weed at Savay,
and in the early 80’s there was no
weed there at all. The bigger fish that
we caught were around the 34lb
mark, and it seemed that they topped
out at that, 35lb, 34lb, that was about
it. It looked like they’d reached their
full potential, and I suppose they had
really with the food that was present
in the lake. I mean I always thought it
was a rich water because of the mussels and that, but when the weed
came – that was something else, and
suddenly, we were running alive with
weed. It came from nowhere after the
flooding. I think what probably happened was that a lot of nutrients went
into the water from the farmers’
fields, and it started the ball rolling.
Suddenly there was a little bit of
Canadian, and then before you knew
where you were, the whole place was
full of Canadian. I mean when we first
had the weed problem it was big
time; there must have been thousands of tons of weed in there. Cottage Bay was unfishable; you couldn’t
20-plus in front of the Hut


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen