FL10 (All 218 pages) - Page 182

The Hunt for Hendrix
would return in the night to the
baited trap, and I would nail myself a
At just after 12 noon the odd fish
started to show/roll over the particle
area, and as time progressed the
shows got more frequent to the point
that in the space of a couple of hours
I counted over 50 shows. I eventually
set my camera up on a tripod, and
even managed to photograph a few
fish as they came out of the water,
including one that we think was Hendrix. Things were looking good for a
take and my confidence was sky high.
As the sun went down at the end of
the day though, I was still fishless. I
think the fish were preoccupied with
the particle, but only time would tell. I
settled down for the night at a little
after 11pm, and was soon out for the
The next thing I knew I was being
woken just before 1am when I
received a ripping take from the margin rod. I was on it like a shot, but it
soon had me weeded. I quickly rang
Luke who was fishing in the swim
next door, and told him I had one on,
but needed to go in for it as it was
weeded. I then waded out into the
lake hoping I would be able to free it.
Luke soon turned up, lifejacket in
hand in case we had to go out in the
boat to get the fish, but I was already
out to where it was weeded up. The
fish didn’t want to budge, and I ended
up hand-lining it. Slowly but surely I
started to gain a little line until eventually I was in contact with my leader.
I continued to gently hand-line the
leader when all of a sudden the fish
broke the surface showing me that I
had a decent fish on. I immediately let
go of the leader, which in turn allowed
the fish to drop back down in to the
weed. I first thought that I had a big
common on, as I couldn’t see properly
in the dark, and that it could only be
one fish – Tango! For the second time
now I started to hand-line the fish
back up out of the weed, and as it
broke the surface I managed to slip
the net under it at the first time of trying.
I still didn’t know which fish I had,
as I had no headtorch out there with
me, but I was pretty sure it was
Tango, I even turned to Luke and said
I thought it was. I bit through the line,
waded back to the bank, net in one
hand and rod in the other, and on
reaching the bank, I handed the rod to
Luk e w hi l e I c l i mbe d o ut. Luk e
switched his headtorch on, and we
looked in the net noticing that it wasn’t in fact a common as I first thought,
but a big mirror. Rolling the fish onto
George Benos with a Christchurch mirror of 31lb 4oz.
its side told me which mirror it was –
it was only bloody Hendrix! I couldn’t
quite believe it; I had just caught my
target fish, and was a little pleased to
say the least. I had watched this fish
earlier in the day rolling over the particle area, but had taken it from the
margin spot far from where the particle was – how mad.
I needed to compose myself as I
was in a state of shock; it hadn’t sunk
in what I had just landed. I took a
minute to get myself sorted, and then
I got the scales and sling ready in
order to weigh it. It weighed 41lb 9oz,
and I was buzzing. Once weighed, I
sacked the fish ‘til first light, but not
before first wading back out to clear
an area from weed in about 5ft of
water. Luke went back to his swim to
get some kip, but I didn’t sleep a wink
for the rest of the night, and must
have checked the sack half a dozen
times. I sat up drinking coffee and
tying rigs until at just after 5am when
I felt it was light enough to do the
When I retrieved Hendrix from the
lake and unzipped the sack in order to
do the pictures, I couldn’t get over
how much particle there was in the
bottom of it. It had obviously been
troughing earlier in the day when I
had seen it rolling. Luke did the pic-


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen