FL10 (All 218 pages) - Page 95

International Virgin
ing between the rods and me. Nothing happened all day, but as the
evening started to draw in and get
colder, car after car came along and
dropped their kids off for canoe lessons. They went up and down the
stretch until it was dark, and one lad
even fell in on top of my spot – I was
sure I was going to hook him. Fortunately I didn’t end up hooking him,
but he swam straight through my
lines instead. Not quite the best start
to the trip I think you would agree. I
waited until they had all left, then
placed my left hand rod two thirds of
the way across in the deep channel,
and my right hand rod was placed in
the margins. I used back leads to pin
the line down, and baited up both
rods with about 1lb of boilies on each.
I did tie up a new rig for the left hand
rod, and used a hair with an inch gap
between the hook and boilie. I used a
straightforward 15lb Amnesia knotless knotted rig on the right hand rod,
a simple rig that I have found successful everywhere I go.
During the early hours of the following morning I received a short
take on the left hand rod, but it
stopped by the time I picked up the
rod, and I struck into nothing. It was
cold and foggy and remained that
way all day with nothing happening.
During the second night I decided to
put a pop-up on the right hand rod
and baited up again with about 1lb of
boilies. I topped up with just a few to
the left hand rod, but I awoke in the
morning without a single bleep all
night. It was now becoming clear and
sunny, and I decided it was time to
dust the leaves off the bivvy and pack
up. I drove up to the two Belgian guys
to my left and asked if they had
received any action, but they said
they had not, although I could tell
from their dry mats. I then headed
along the Kempisch, and drove alongside its banks all the way up to lock 4,
where the Verbindings canal joined. I
drove along the entire length of the
Verbindings and back again. I have to
say I really liked the look of the quiet
stretch back on the KK, and some
parts of the Verbindings, and I headed
back to the KK. I found a couple of
places situated on a dirt track in a
section of pine forest. It just looked
glorious in the autumn sunshine; the
trees along the stretch were bright
red, greens, browns and orange all the
way. There was just the odd cyclist
now and then on the opposite bank
with no other anglers to be seen –
I just placed both rods in the margins until any boat traffic had finished
for the day. An angler turned up in the
afternoon for a chat; he had been fishing a lake nearby for the previous
couple of nights, and he had only
managed a small fish, but he did
show me some of the big lumps he
had taken out of the lake in the past.
He let me know what information he
knew about the stretch I was on. He
had taken one of the two biggies from
the stretch back in the spring, a 55lb
common. That would do nicely, I
thought to myself, and he then left me
to my fishing. A Dutch angler drove
by soon after and set up at the end of
the stretch by the lock. As the
evening started to draw in, I re-baited
the left hand margin rod, placed just
off the stony margin into the deep
channel, and topped up the area with
(Top) Quiet stretch on KK.
(Right) 56lb 4oz.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen