FL11 All pages - Page 132

In Search of Monster Carp
my brother’s boy, Tom, used to go
t h e r e w i t h m y b r o t h e r, a n d s h e
banked a fish called Cut Tail Common, which was 32lb. I think she’s
been in the mag with it, and she was
well pleased, but I couldn’t seem to
get over the 23lb mark, even though I
was catching constantly, and people
around me were catching 30’s, so I
w a s t h i n k i n g, w h a t a m I d o i n g
wrong? I took Tom fishing on a couple
of occasions in the winter when it
was freezing cold, using the magaligner, and we had a good few sessions, but again, nothing too big –
18lb I think was the biggest.
Having fished on this Sussex lake
quite a few times now, I started realising that majority of people, because
they had three rods in the swim, were
getting liners on all rods. The indicators would go up to the top, down, up
to the top, down and that wasn’t what
I wanted. Even though I was still only
using one or two rods in the swim, I
was still getting liners, even though I
was on fluorocarbon mainline, which
sinks like a brick.
So I ummed and ahhed about what
to do, and I decided I’d used the float
to keep the line going along the surface of the water, so that the only line
on the bottom would be right near my
bait. I work as a gas engineer, but I do
24-hour standbys, where I have to
work all night. I was on standby on
the Thursday, and I didn’t finish
standby until 4am that following
morning, but I decided to go fishing.
When I got in I was so tired after dig-
ging all night, I decided to have a couple of hours’ kip, but that was a bad
move because I set my alarm for 6am,
but didn’t get up until 8am, and I
thought I’d missed my chance. I
quickly packed my gear, got to the
lake, and as I was pulling into the car
park, I noticed there was a fella setting up in the swim that I fancied. I’d
looked at Metcheck, and the wind
and the conditions were right for this
swim, but anyway, that’s my fault for
getting up late.
So I loaded my barrow and had a
trundle round the lake, to a swim
called Peg 2. After looking around
while sitting down and having a fag, I
saw a bit of fizzing going on. There
are no nuisance fish in there; there are
only carp and pike, which can be a
nuisance, because they will take
boilies. This fizzing looked like carp to
me, and the swim was vacant, so I
quickly got the rest of my gear,
plonked it in the swim and started
setting up. You’re not allowed to use
leadcore, so I’ve been toying with the
fluorocarbon leaders, but actually
making them myself with thick fluorocarbon, attached loop to loop, and
they seemed to work quite well,
because I am pretty sure the fish
could suss out the leadcore.
So I had one rod on a normal setup,
and the other rod was my old Shimano Twin Power 2¼lb rod, which
must have had about 15 eyes on it to
thread, and a 10lb GR60 with a 3AA
waggler – just normal float setup. I
cast that out but with the undertow, it
wasn’t working right, so I thought
what else could I do? In the bottom of
my rucksack, I had a Polaris float, one
of those self-cocking ones. I’d never
caught a fish on it, but I thought I’d
give it a go, to try something different.
So I had a normal rig, with lead and
leader, and a sliding backlead coming
straight up to the Polaris float, then all
the line was going along the surface. I
waited until the fizzing stopped, and
cast a bag with some dried out hemp
and some corn right near where they
were fizzing, and while I was doing
this, a fish nutted out right over my
other rod, so I thought I could get a
run in a minute on the other rod, but
nothing happened.
While I was using the 3AA waggler,
I used it to check the depth, and while
I was plumbing about, I noticed that
there was a slight hump half way
between the far bank and me. Now
the majority of people who had come
down would underarm cast to the far
bank, not knowing there was this
hump. I thought that’s where I’d fish
the Polaris float, right behind the
hump, and it was working well. It was
nice to watch a float; it takes you
back to when you were a kid, and it
was quite exciting. All the while I had
fizzing going on all round my other
normal static rod, and the fish were
rolling, but I had no action. I was
thinking that any minute now my rod
was going to rip off.
A couple of hours went by and it all
went quiet, so I thought I’d have
something to eat and have a chill out.
I like watching a float; it’s like electricity when it moves, but I took my
eyes off the float for a moment, looked
at the other rod, and went to check it
out because there was still fish fizzing
up. All of a sudden, as I turned round
to look at the float, it had disappeared,
and the rod was almost leaving the
rod rests. So I grabbed the rod, leant
into the fish, and it felt really heavy
fish. I played it really gingerly
because I was only on 10lb line, but
the rod was quite forgiving. It surfaced quite quickly; I saw it was a
really big fish, and all of a sudden it
woke up, and fought strongly for
about 20 minutes. There were two
kids fishing behind me from Manchester, and funnily enough earlier on
in the day I’d showed them this rig
with the Polaris float, and I said to
them, “This rig will catch the biggest


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen