FL12Sept - Page 93

Off With a Bang
end tackle arrangement.
With the rods and spod/marker
rods all clipped up and paced out
along the bank, I got on with the job
of spodding the lot out. With bait
boats allowed on the water I reasoned
most anglers would be fishing over
tight patches of bait, so my idea was
to spread a larger bed of bait across
the swim in an area the size of perhaps a living room and get as many
fish competing as possible. This I was
sure would lead to pick-ups and fish
on the bank. I’ve used similar tactics
a number of times over the years on
waters with a good head of fish, and
at times the spodding can really get
them going as they seem drawn to
the constant delivery of food.
Two hours of spodding followed
until I was happy I’d got enough food
out there, and I quickly positioned
each rod a couple of feet either side of
the marker float. Hookbaits were
either double maize or a 10mm
boilie/maize combo whilst I added to
the attraction of the hook baits by
attaching small boilie size PVA mesh
bags of 10mm boilies to each hook
before casting out. It was 8pm before
I’d tidied up and settled down to cook
some tea, and after a plate of pasta
and a couple of beers I settled down
as darkness descended on the lake
once more.
The howl of a Stevie Neville had me
scrambling from my bed around midnight as the left hand rod ripped into
life, and bending into the fish, I
slipped on my shoes and concen-
trated on the job in hand. The first
take from a brand new water is
always nice, and with so many stunning fish in the lake I couldn’t help
wondering what I had on the end.
After a few minutes ploughing up and
down the shallow margins I was able
to slip the net under a feisty common
of around 18lb. I slipped out the barbless hook and placed her on the large
unhooking mat, which is provided in
each swim.
A lovely golden common shone in
the beam of my head torch, and after
a couple of admiring glances I
removed my shoes and socks before I
slipped her back in the deeper water
a few yards from the bank.
With the rod rebaited and recast, I
tidied up the swim and stuck the kettle back on for an early hours brew.
Sleep was hard to come by after that,
as for the next hour I heard fish after
fish crashing in front of me, and
although difficult to pinpoint their
exact location, it was clear that I had
a few kippers in the general area! The
liners started shortly after, and it came
as no surprise when at 1.30am the
right hand buzzer was screaming for
my attention. Again another similar
fight followed, and another nice double-figure common was soon
engulfed in the net. Another quick
check over and the scamp was
returned with strict instruction not to
return unless it was with its dad, mum
and every other larger member of its
family! With the consistent activity of
fish, liners and with the sounds of fish
crashing in my ears, I grabbed the
spod rod and let fire with another barrage of bait. 20 spods or so later I was
happy with the top-up, and soon settled down to try and salvage some of
the remaining night’s sleep!
Bleeeeepp! Here we go again! The
same rod was once again crying for
my attention, and after clicking over
the baitrunner the rod arched over in
my hand as something out in the
depths tried to gain its freedom! The
pull and general feel of the rod suggested something a little bigger could
be twisting and turning out in the
darkness, desperate to rid itself of the
twisted piece of metal that lay buried
(Top) Unhooking mats, slings and
landing nets are provided in each
(Left) Keen to try the new bait.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen