FL13 - Page 165

Summer Tactics and Edges
bed. It seemed that no sooner had I
nodded off than my mobile was making ‘get up’ noises. I pushed every
button until it stopped and I drifted
back to sleep. I slept through any
plans for waking up early and was
woken by the sun climbing over the
trees and smacking me straight in the
face. I put the kettle on and after the
first cuppa of the day, I was restored
as a human being.
I walked up to the snags on the corner and saw about 20 fish sunbathing;
the majority of them looked very big,
due to them not having spawned. As
I watched them, I had a phone call
from a guy who I was meeting later
that day who offered me membership
of his syndicate and invited me over
to fish that night. Desperately keen
for a look at the water, I called it a day
and started to pack my kit away. As I
pushed the barrow to the car, I made
a quick stop at the Number 1 snags.
The sheer number of fish in this small
part of the pond told me that they
would be visiting the snaggy bush so
I tiptoed to the tree and peered round
the large trunk.
I could just make out two dark
shapes moving off so I crumbled two
baits, squeezed them together, forming a paste-like texture, broke off
small bits and started throwing them
to the bottom of the shelf. They were
just under my feet so I could easily
identify the fish as they were grubbing around, seeking out the paste I’d
thrown in. Three dark shapes
emerged slowly from under a log and
ploughed the bottom with their open
mouths, polishing the area even more.
Something caught my eye and as I
turned around, I knew it was her. With
just her shoulders visible, she sank
out of sight, only to reappear, but
closer this time. Sinking like a submarine, she flicked her rudder and sailed
under my feet. The width of her shoulders was massive. She was very big
and without a doubt carrying spawn.
The Dink turned and came back
toward me, her belly skimming across
the loose gravel that was being disturbed by her large pecs wafting up
the lakebed. She was getting all
excited, working the bottom, moving
her head from left to right and sucking everything up like a Dyson. Satisfied that she had eaten everything in
her path, The Dink disappeared under
a bush towards the stick in Number
One, while I suddenly realised the
time and made a run for it with the
As I drove away, I was fully aware
that catching The Dink was not going
to happen while she was full of
spawn. I had five days before my
return, and was under no illusion that
the lake might be empty again when I
went back. Once at home, I had
plenty to keep me occupied, but my
thoughts were focused on the lake. I
went back to work for two days and
nights, went to the hospital to see my
consultant for a routine overhaul and
then sat at home waiting to leave for
the Road Lake that night. I knew the
swim I needed to be in, but was
unsure where the other guys were
fishing. I gave my friend John Elmer a
call and he told me who was fishing
where. The Dog Leg was free! My
plan had been to arrive at midnight,
but if I left straight away, I could pull
into the car park at around 10pm.
I couldn’t believe it! The M25 traffic
was flowing and in no time at all, I
was unlocking the gates to the lake.
John was fishing in The Hump and
the other guys had chosen to fish the
opposite end. One of them was in The
Bars and the other guy was in The
Pentagon. Grabbing the water bottle,
I took a slow walk round to The Dog
Leg. The pond is heavily tree-lined,
with snaggy bushes all the way
around the margins, so it was hard to
keep a watchful eye on the lake as I
Looking from the Dock to the Rat’s
strolled round. I walked into John’s
swim, and straight away (bless him)
he told me that a fish had shown in
front of Dog. ‘And I’ve seen fish in
front of The Hump. Come on! I’ll show
you where they were!’
As I followed John to the swim, I
was buzzing.
‘There you go,’ he said. ‘In line with
that weedbed but on the right hand
side of it.’ I put the water bottle on the
ground and decided to stay put to
watch the water for a while. The area
that John had pointed out was the
same spot that the fish were showing
over on my last session. The whole
time I was standing there, the swim
looked dead, but it didn’t bother me. I
knew they would be back.
I mentioned earlier that my plan
was to arrive late and move on to the
showing fish. Taking into account the
number of fish that I saw in front of
The Dog Leg on my previous session,
and the fish that John spotted today, I
would be a fool to hang around waiting. With this in mind, I walked back
to the car and unloaded my kit. There
was more room in the car park than in
my swim, so it was easier to tie fresh
baits on to my rods there and then.
There was only one rig that suited
the way I wanted to fish, and that was
the chod; since my last session, the
weather had been very warm, and


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen