FL13 - Page 166

Summer Tactics and Edges
A stunner from Surrey.
that would have had an impact on the
weed growth. With this in mind, I
moved the top bead on the lead core,
to just under the needle knot, allowing the rig six feet of movement. This
will ensure that the pop-up sits tight
against the repositioned bead, as it
falls through the water at a slower
rate, due to it being so far away from
the lead. By letting the rig settle down
this way, it enables me to present a
hook bait and be fishing confidently
in a blind situation.
Once the rods were all sorted and
the barrow loaded, I headed off. I
stopped short of the swim because it
makes unloading my kit much easier.
Moving around in the dark, you are
less likely to trip over anything. With
both rods ready I gradually lowered
the leadcore into the margins, giving
them a quick soaking and allowing
the pop-up to swell around the floss.
O n r e t r i e v i n g t h e l e a d c o r e, I
stretched it out, which prevents any
air bubbles from sitting on the leader.
Knowing that the rig has 6ft of movement, I needed to overcast slightly to
land on the spot. I felt it down and it
landed with a soft kiss to the bottom.
Happy with the drop, I pulled a load of
line off the spool and left it to sink and
fall slack.
The next rod was lined up right off
the weedbed, where John had spotted fish, and I had seen them on the
previous session. As the lead entered
the water, I raised the tip so that I
could feel it meet the bottom with a
confident thump. Finally, I was fishing. With the house up, and the bedchair in place, I could chill out. I must
have fallen asleep because my alarm
clock woke me up.
At the far end of the lake, the sun
was just making its presence felt with
a reddish glow and as I was looking
that way, a fish stuck its head out in
The Launch water. I sat there rubbing
my hands together thinking, ‘They’re
coming!’ but I must have been up for
an hour or more, and I didn’t spot any
more fish. I needed more sleep; a
result of my medication, and I drifted
off once more, only to be woken by
the Neville screaming into life.
The rod was being pulled from my
hands and all I could do was to hold
on, trying to gain some control to
keep the fish from reaching the
weedbed. Suddenly, the fish boiled up
on the surface. It was disorientated
due to its face being covered in weed
so I coaxed him away from the weed
and into the net, manned by John. At
first, I thought I had a fish called Not
the Brown, which I’d had the good
fortune to catch the first season on
here. John took a closer look. ‘You’ve
got The Pug, mate.’ I couldn’t believe
it. I was over the moon! The scale settled at 34lb 10oz; it was a good result.
John and I started to chat about
The Dink and we both agreed that it
was coming out from this end of the
lake; these two swims have a good
track record for The Dink slipping up
and getting caught. Then, totally out
the blue, the Neville started its war
cry and as I pulled into the fish, the
rod hooped over aggressively as the
clutch released line at a rate of knots.
As the fish charged through the
weedbed, with the rod in full battle


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen