FL13 - Page 212

(Above) 20lb Common – A 20lb
common. Not all were big, but all
were very welcome.
(Below) Photography entertained me
through quiet times.
crashed out – I was shattered. Half an
hour later I was woken by an absolute
screamer on my left hand rod. I flew
out of the bag, picked up the rod and
struck into thin air – I was devastated.
Not only was I unsure about what the
hell was going on, I was sure it had
blown my chances for the rest of the
evening. I flicked the bait back out to
the spot and with lazy eyes gazed out
on the still and tranquil water. Minutes had gone by when the other rod
was away to a very slow take, that of
a big fish. Upon lifting the rod my
thoughts were confirmed, as whatever was on the other end felt like a
kiting sack of spuds.
The fight only lasted minutes, with
the fish staying deep and slow all the
way in. Once in the net I dashed to
the brolly to get my head torch and
gazed down at my prize. It was Cluster, a true character – as my pal and
bailiff Colin Walford said, “A proper
mirror carp.” Looking at her on the
mat, she had everything; she was a
big-framed fish with a very neat scale
pattern down one side. I remember
lifting her up for the pictures and was
blown away by the width – she
looked well over 40. Nevertheless, the
needle spun round to 39lb 10oz and I
was made up. Before Christmas, I
caught one more fish, a pretty 25lb
mirror in November from under the
tips. I had found a group of fish in
some snags and I must have caught
the smallest one there because I saw
four of the big six the previous day.
Now Cemex Sutton is a lake with
no morals. It doesn’t matter who you
are, what your name is, or how much
time you have on your hands; it can
bite you in the bum. It’s a lake where
you need to be 100% confident in
every aspect of your fishing, because
Sutton plays tricks on your mind. At
times I found myself doubting my
watercraft, my rigs and even my bait.
It can make people forget who they
are as an angler, and it can lead you
astray. And after the capture of ‘Cluster’ and the 24, I had a very long spell
with no action, leaving me just as I
have described. This season marked a
change at Sutton, as of November the
1st nights were allowed on a 48hr
on/off basis and I endured a total of
over 30 sessions without a take. If
every one else around me was suffering too it wouldn’t have been so bad,
but the fishing had been pretty good
that winter, as you would expect with
the introduction of night fishing. I
played photographer on many occasions, especially for my buddy Dan,
who seemed to enjoy waking me up
to take pictures. Those carp gods
were now smiling on him, as he was
having an excellent winter, taking
some very sought-after fish.
I did get slightly demoralized at one
point, but I pulled myself through it
and kept saying to myself, “One more
blank brings me one session closer to
a lump.” It got to the middle of March
and the weather was very warm for
that time of year, so much so that the
fish were seen cruising the surface. I
arrived at the lake to find Pea Corner
free, which is a snaggy corner of the
lake, one that the fish seemed keen to
visit. I walked into the Pea to see fish
boiling up. “That’ll do me,” I thought.
I endured a blank night but was
awoken in the morning by… yes, you
guessed it, Dan’s alarm was screaming. He was the next swim up and by
the time I walked to his swim, he
already had his prize in the net. It was
Baby Blind Eye at 33lb, and with the
sun on our bank the pictures came
out mint.
Back to my swim, and within minutes I noticed ripples coming out from
the snag. On investigating, I found a
group of fish on the other side of the
snag, so I immediately upped sticks
and moved the short distance round
the corner to a swim known as the
Pipe, and lowered my baits under the
tips onto what seemed to be a patrol
route between two snags. As soon as
the baits were out, I went and stood
behind the snag the fish were occup y i n g, I c o u n t e d e i g h t f i s h , t h e
biggest of which was clearly the ‘Little Fully’. They were all sunning
themselves, but the big boy seemed
up for a feed; he was investigating the
snag and kept nudging the smaller
fish out of the way. I got hungry, so I
went back to base to cook up some
lunch. Halfway through playing
Jamie Oliver, I nearly lost the left hand
rod, as it was in the rests at full test


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen