FL13 - Page 213

curve. I picked it up and had to bully
the culprit away from the snag. Dan
and Wes heard the commotion and
walked round to help, as the Pipe was
a very tight swim.
The fish knew every snag was in
that swim and made a constant beeline for them in a break for freedom.
The fish hit the surface and erupted
for the snags again, and as it did so I
saw the scale pattern. Instantly my
legs turned to jelly and Dan confirmed
my thoughts as he whispered the
words, “Little Fully” over my shoulder.
I did not enjoy the next five minutes,
as the fish left my rod at full compression trying to gain sanctuary in the
snags, but finally Dan did the honours
with the net and there he was, the Little Fully was in my net. That was it, all
those blank sessions, all those
evenings of packing up at 10.30pm in
the pouring rain and setting up at
4.30am, all those times the fish had
been showing all over my baits without a bite, all those fish I had photographed that winter without having
the pleasure of holding one myself.
None of it mattered any more, I had
one of the true Sutton beauties in my
net, and how did it feel? AMAZING!
The weight didn’t matter to me, but
the needle spun round to 35lb 6oz. I
couldn’t wait to pick him up, and I still
relive that moment in my head today.
That was the seventh and final fish
for me that season, but that one fish
left me gagging for the 1st of June to
come round again. During that close
season, I decided on a change of bait
and after looking into it, fancied the
new G-Force from Nutrabaits would
do the business. I also found out that
I had won the Nutrabaits ‘Bait for Life’
competition I had entered the previ-
ous year. Needless to say I was over
the moon to be welcomed aboard by
Bill Cottam and Richard Skidmore
and I couldn’t have thanked them
Season 09/10
J u n e 1 s t c o u l d n ’t h a v e c o m e
quicker and I was in a really good
mood on the fishing front. On the 4th
June I found fish in the same quiet
bay as I had caught the Big Common
a few seasons before, only this time
the weather was wet, very wet. I
spent a blank evening in the Chicken
and had been fishing over a generous
helping of bait, so I was confident of
a n e a r l y m o r n i n g t a k e. W h e n I
returned at 4am the fish were churning up the bottom; I could see them
really sheeting up through the fading
darkness. An hour after positioning
my baits I had a pretty 24lb common.
The beginning of this season had
been very slow, so I was happy to pick
up a fish in the first week.
I didn’t get my next chance of a fish
until one hot evening in mid-August.
Again I found fish in some pads in the
bay and I had a good dozen fish going
mental for mixers. Most of the time I
found the Sutton fish sunbathing.
They would turn their noses up at
mixers, but every so often they took a
real liking to them and this was one of
those evenings. The fish were
patrolling around the edge of the
pads, competing for the free offerings,
and it didn’t take long for one of them
to slip up on the hookbait. However
the fish erupted and flat-rodded me
as it shot into the corner and the hook
pulled. I was devastated, and was
really cursing the carp gods, the ‘F’
word being a favourite for a strong
five minutes. As I stood there swearing I noticed a few fish still patrolling
the pads, one of which was a large
mirror, but I couldn’t quite make out
which one. I flicked the mixer out and
it landed perfectly over a single pad,
6ft in front of the mirror’s nose, and I
was amazed as the fish swam straight
up and gulped the double mixer
down. Now the resulting fish turned
out to be the Beast, named for its
fighting ability, and I had just hooked
it in the smallest, tightest swim on the
lake, so needless to say, the fight was
heart stopping. Nevertheless, I managed to bundle him into the net and
(Top) A good bait is key for the Sutton
(Below) A very spawned out upfront
common at 28lb.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen