FL13 - Page 229

Day Ticket 40!
and the fact the session could have
quite easily gone horribly wrong. As
mentioned I was actually fishing the
swim next door to the Treeline, but
couldn’t resist the odd inspection
over to there for any signs of fish. It
was just then as I scanned the Treeline margins that I happened to
glance down not 6ft in front of me and
saw a small carp in several feet of
water. I then noticed and watched
several carp milling about for ten minutes or so, and went back to my
swim. I didn’t think too much of it, as
I was tunnel-visioned into going after
a 30. I then thought, do I risk a blank
or catch a double? I thought why not,
it’s better than blanking again, and I
would usually be hard on myself and
totally dejected week after week anyway!
So I took one of my main rods, crept
back over, and they were still there!
There was a clear spot not 8ft from
the flooded bank (not even technically
in the lake) where they were, and I
waited until they drifted away from
the spot using the cover of a nice mild
SSW wind that rippled the water.
Now was my chance to lower a bait
in… I paid off plenty of line, put the
rod on the deck, the line in the clip,
and my net to hand. A good ten minutes passed, and in my earlier observations I noticed a few little tails up a
little further out, milking the bottom
up, obviously feeding on something. It
was unusual that you got a chance to
watch them like this, and I may have
possibly seen a few larger shapes
down there, but it was hard to tell. I
only had my glasses on and totally
forgot about the Polaroids in the bag.
It was that clear anyway so I didn’t
fetch them; I decided to risk putting a
few chops and crumb over the top, so
I nipped back to the other swim and
took out six 18mm Cell boilies
straight out of the bag. I walked back
over to the swim, waited for my
chance again, and scattered the freebies over the spot. It must have been
no longer than about ten to 15 minutes later when I saw the line pluck
and then pluck again, and I didn’t
hesitate the third time... fish on!
No sooner had I hooked the fish
than its head was out of the water, it
was that shallow! A common I
thought… nice! But thinking she was
a double I kept it on a short line. It
tried to do me in the left hand snags,
John's first trip to Twynersh and his 1st 20lb common, well done mate!
so without thinking twice, it was time
to get wet! I followed the fish out to
what was only really the end of the
bank’s edge usually anyway, but as I
said it was under about 2ft of water. I
then caught a glimpse of the deep
shoulders, and then I thought, result;
this might be a nice 20! The fish
didn’t want to go out into open water;
it was having none of it, whilst constantly lunging deep as again it tried
to snag me up in the bankside shrubbery. It wasn’t until I got her close for
the second time and finally heaved it
across the drawcord of the net that it
seemed a lot bigger than I’d first
thought. Whilst shaking after the fight
I slipped the barbless Longshank out
with ease – it was properly nailed in
the bottom lip yet again! I started to
break the net down and roll it down to
the fish, and it was then that I saw the
depth – this was now looking like a
good 30!
A quick lift confirmed it, as the fish
was really deep! I then waddled
under the strain over to my unhooking mat (glad I kept bringing the
big’un). I secured everything and
called the owner for a helping hand.
At this stage I just knew it was a good
fish, and whilst I waited for Paul the
owner I waded back out in the swim
to comfort the fish and to check it was
ok. Paul then came over along with
another ticket member, and he sorted
the sling, camera and the Reubens,
and it was time to hoist the fish out
and get her picture taken, but not
before weighing. Paul came over and
said straight away how it was a
proper big fish, and said that he told
the ticket members to get on this lake
as a few were fishing Pit 2, not even
contemplating a dabble on there so
early on!
Paul had another look and on closer
inspection recognised her as Nina... I
just replied, “No!” in total disbelief. I
made sure that Paul checked the
Reubens after I zeroed them so there
was no doubt of the weight, and by
this time I was knackered! I was in a
state of shock, and just remember
looking down at the scales and seeing
it go 44-something; I was a wreck. I
then switched with Paul and he lifted
her, and there it was 44lb 14oz! I still
couldn’t believe it. We then arranged
to get some pics done and as I was
already wet I didn’t mind a few water
shots of the big girl.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen