FL13 - Page 81

Back To Reality
rigs, as I’ve done so in a previous Big
Carp magazines. But if you would like
more information on these very effective presentations then just take a
look at the last couple of issues. Once
the rods were sorted, I set up camp
then had a quick brew before getting
my head down, as I was knackered!
The following morning I wound the
rods in and had a good lead about the
swim. I was surprised to find less
weed than expected in front of me,
although the further out I cast the
thicker it got. I found a really nice
spot at about 35yds in 11ft of water. I
sighted a visual marker against the far
treeline to make night time casting a
relatively easy operation. As I would
be arriving after dark each week, this
seemed the best way to fish accurately and effectively without risking
over-disturbing the water by leading
around. Anyway after exploring the
spot in more detail I found that it was
just about wide enough to put a couple of rods on, and as no other area
felt as good I decided to do just that.
My third rod was going to be used for
a roving approach – the plan being as
soon as I saw any signs of a carp feeding or otherwise, I would put a bait on
it straight away.
My first session went by without
any action, although I did see a few
fish in front of me, which was a good
start and gave me a feeling that I was
in the right area. I made a decision to
concentrate my time in this swim for
a few sessions, as I had a good feeling
about it and the water it covered.
Before I left at the end of my session I
spodded a few kilos of 15mm and
20mm boilies onto the spot, and put a
few spodfuls in the general area. I
hoped that while I was gone the birds
would get on the bait and cause a disturbance, which would in turn draw
the fish in. I used 20mm’s as well as
the 15mm’s as the birds find it hard to
pick up the 20’s, and therefore they
are on the lakebed longer, giving the
fish more time to find and eat them. I
also thought that if the fish could feed
safely on the food with no lines in the
water to disturb or spook them while
I was away, it would improve my
chances on the next visit.
As I headed round the M25 bound
for home on the Wednesday afternoon
I was more than happy with how the
session had gone. During the week
the time really dragged, and I just
couldn’t wait to get back – the anticipation was almost unbearable! But
finally Sunday night arrived and I was
there, brimming with excitement as I
dropped into the same swim. It’s a
strange feeling and one that is difficult to explain, but this lake seems
almost timeless. When I’m packing up
after a session it feels as if very little
time has elapsed, but when you pull
off for a few days or even a week,
when you come back nothing has
changed. It’s as if you have not been
away. This place could really take me
I did another three-night session,
but once again I ended up fishless. I
did however receive a severe liner on
my left hand rod, which incidentally
was the rod on the spot I found the
previous week. I also saw several
shows, all of which were in front of
me. I baited up the swim just as I had
the week before then set off home.
I planned to return the following
Sunday evening, but I had forgotten
that my kids were away with their
mum that weekend which meant that
I could get down earlier. As a result of
that I found myself Dinton-bound
Sunday lunchtime, and with a new
moon, my confidence was sky high. I
arrived just after lunchtime, and as I
walked into the swim I had fished the
previous two weeks, a fish rolled right
on the spot! This was looking good. I
got the rods out pretty quickly as I
had clipped them up before leaving
the week before. Neil, the guy I had
met a couple of weeks earlier, was in
a swim two up from me, and once my
rods were out we met up in between
(Top) Filming over Fryerning.
(Right) Nick, the cameraman, doing
his thing.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen