FL13 - Page 83

Back To Reality
end to my session though, as I blew
up my spod rod whilst putting out
some bait. I then blew up the throwing stick, and to finish it off I tripped
over the entrance door to my bivvy
and put my foot through the front
panel – happy days! I also managed
to bust my bloody bedchair at the
start of the session too! Sometimes it
just doesn’t go your way, but then
hey, that’s fishing. On the way home I
called into the Nash office and picked
up a new spod rod and bedchair as I
was due to go back to Dinton the
coming weekend.
The following weekend when I
arrived, the weather was appalling, or
at least appalling for me to be out in,
but great fishing conditions. Heavy
rain, massive winds and low pressure
meant that I spent the entire session
in my bivvy with the door three-quarters zipped up in an attempt to keep
some of the rain out. At one point the
winds were so strong (70mph) that I
was convinced I was going to lose the
bivvy. I saw one fish at about 4am on
the Monday, but other than that I didn’t see a thing. Packing up at the end
of the session was a total nightmare,
and I endured a pretty perilous journey home too.
I didn’t bait up at the end of this
session, as I thought I might have
been over-feeding the swim. I knew
fish were visiting the area because
the spot was getting cleaner by the
week, but I was concerned that there
was still bait out there. By not baiting
this week I was hoping that the
remaining bait, if any, would be
cleared off by both the birds and fish,
and therefore when I returned the
next Sunday my hookbaits and scattering of freebies would be the only
bait in the swim. If the fish were visiting my area whilst I was there then I
would have a good chance of a take.
It’s now the evening of the first of
December as I write this, and I have
just returned from my latest session.
Yet again, events didn’t unfold as I
would have liked. The access road
was flooded so just getting to the lake
was an adventure in itself. The problem was that I had to drive through it,
as I couldn’t turn around in the lane
and this resulted in water coming in
under the front doors of my van,
which soaked my clothing that I had
in the foot well – not a good start!
Once again the rain hardly stopped
for the whole session and only ceased
when I was packing up this morning.
After an uneventful session I packed
everything away, just leaving the rods
out while I spodded a couple of kilos
of bait out on to the spot. I had literally just finished and was folding the
spod rod away when the line on left
hand rod pulled up tight and pinged
out of the line clip. The spool started
to slowly turn as something started to
take line. I was convinced that a bird
must have dived down and picked up
my bait while my back was turned, as
I had just put two kilos of bait out on
the spot. As I picked up the rod I
expected a bird to hit the surface, but
nothing showed, and as I bent into it,
the rod hooped over, and it soon
became evident that I was attached
to a fish, and a good’un too!
It was a slow, heavy, plodding fight,
(Top) The hinged stiff link.
(Left) The Jon Mac, or multi rig, as it’s
also known.
(Above right) The snowman rig.
and the fish knew exactly what it
wanted to do, taking me first left then
right as I slowly gained line on it. I
had the fish to within a few yards of
me when it decided that it wanted to
get into the reeds that were to my
right hand margin. This was a powerful fish; it started to pick up some
pace, and I had to apply a fair amount
of pressure to prevent it reaching the
sanctuary of the reeds. Just as I did
that, the unthinkable happened and
the bloody hook pulled. I was
absolutely gutted as I reeled the fishless rig back in.
On inspecting the rig, it became
evident that the hook had in fact
opened out and the point had turned
over. This is something that has not
happened to me in a very long time,
but all I can guess is that the hook hit
the bone of the mouth on the way.
Poor hookholds do put more pressure
on the hook, regardless of how strong
a hook might be, which is, I believe,
the main cause of hooks straightening or flexing during the fight. Anyway, I reeled in the other two rods,
packed the remaining things away,
and headed back to the car park one
pissed off angler!
As I sit here now writing this and
recounting the events in my head I
just can’t get over the fact that my
first Dinton take of the year resulted
in a lost fish. But looking on the bright
side, after experiencing a low point in
the campaign, the only way is up. I
have the rest of the winter ahead of
me, and I’m full of confidence that
another take will soon be forthcoming.
I’ll let you know how it goes next
time, but for now it’s goodbye from
me, and good luck! n


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen