FREE-LINE 01.pdf - Page 20

Free Line Feature Catch Report by Scott Eyre
The Waiting Game
After a busy week and with limited time on the bank over that last
month or so, I loaded the van and headed to prestigious Farlows
Lake. Setting off a little later than anticipated, I arrived at Farlows.
However, I was lucky enough to secure a double peg on Lake 1 for
the weekend ahead and our social, so I was well happy. As I waited
for Richard to arrive, I got the marker rod set up and flicked the
lead out to try and find some clear areas in the hope of introducing
a few spods full of bait and hopefully tempting some carp.
After several casts, it soon became apparent that straight out in
front of me on my side of the peg was a sizeable area that was
gravel, and this screamed carp. Finding an area perfect for
presenting a single bait, I decided that this would be my starting
point. After clipping up the marker rod, it was a simple case of
getting the carp rods wrapped around the distance sticks and
clipped up. Armed with three rods, I opted to present two of my
three rods on the gravel area, fished roughly 6ft apart with a spread
of bait. As the peg commanded a large expanse of water and an
island to my left, it would be foolish of me not to stick a rod on it.
After several casts, I placed a rig tight under an overhanging willow
tree, and with five or six mouthfuls of boilies over the area it was
only a matter of time.
As the day passed and after copious amounts of tea, high winds
and heavy rain, I introduced a little more bait, ringing the dinner
bell so to speak, trying to force a bite. As the wind increased, it
made baiting up extremely difficult. As I sat there waiting for the
wind to calm down, I was greeted by Richard, eager to get the rods
out and set up, so I left him to it. It wasn’t long before we were sat
chewing the fat, discussing tactics, when our conversation was
interrupted around 9:30pm as my middle rod roared off. Peeling
line from the reel, the spool clicked away, and after a short-battle
with what felt like a decent sized carp, I was, unfortunately, cut-off,
and I was devastated to say the least. As my line dangled in front of
my eyes with a frayed appearance, it was clear that my line had
been taken over the top of a mussel bed. Despondent, yet
optimistic, I retied a fresh rig and went about setting my rod up in
the hope that fish were still in the area and I would get another
chance. As I flicked the rig out and the line sailed through the
guides, the lead landed with a firm donk, and with the rig back in
position, I decided to get a couple of hours’ sleep.
Morning soon arrived, and as we sat enjoying a cup of tea in the
crisp morning air, my middle rod was away again. My second
chance had come, another hard fighting carp, but this powerful fish
took me straight into the mussel bed, cutting me off for a second
time, and I was back to last night’s feeling of anger. I refused to
quit, persevering with a spot that I know would at some stage
produce a fish. After refreshing all my hook baits, ensuring my hook
points were sticky sharp, I trickled a little more bait into the pond.
By now the wind direction had changed, and with it a new wind
was pumping into our swim. The weather warmed and seemed to
put a stop to all signs of showing fish. Although this didn’t seem to
put off the bream, which were taking a liking to my baited spot,
much to Richards’s enjoyment.
Then at 8am on the final morning of our social, I was handed a
third chance when my middle rod ripped off again. Would this be
third time lucky? Keeping the rod as high as possible and the carp’s
head up, I managed to guide the fish towards us quickly. A spirited
battle ensued, and with a few lunges under the rod tip, the tenminute battle ended, and this time I was the victor as Richard
slipped the net under my first Lake One carp. With the fish weighed
and the needle settled at a healthy 22lbs, we rattled off some shots
before slipping him back. It certainly was third time lucky! Before
long the rod and rig were back out and the kettle was on, and we
didn’t have to wait long before the road roared off and another
carp slipped up. Gracing my net was a mirror of 13lb, proving that
the tactics and method were working. Returning the fish, I started
the painful task of slowly packing down the gear, and with the rods
still in the water, we were both hopeful for a last-minute bite.
Suddenly my rod was away again, and this time the fish attached
to the other end was an angry, hard-fighting common. After a short
but hair-raising battle, she was resting in the safety of my net. It
was last knockings as the needle spun around, tipping the scales at
20lb 8oz. It was my second fish over the twenty-pound mark, and
she was stunning, scale perfect! As Richard snapped away with the
camera and a memory card full of photos, I was soon returning
home with a smile on my face and reflecting on the weekend’s
captures. I can’t wait to get back out! Tight lines and be lucky.
Lewis Power and a scaly 27lb mirror.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen