FREE-LINE 01.pdf - Page 64

Pads Lake Plundered
proof over-trousers – much more suitable! Ady was now dolled up in his
additional gear, and we decided to
have a wander round via Paul’s
palace (a two-man Armo with water
feature – prime real estate – for water
feature read river running through it!)
and Mike’s place to give Ady chance
to brag about his fish, and see what
occurrences the night had brought
their way. We were just making our
way up the South Lake bank towards
Paul’s peg…
“Was that Paul shouting you?” Ady
“Think so, mate.”
Our walk quickly turned into a run,
well a jog! We arrived just in time to
see Paul lifting his landing net out of
the water. In the confines of the net
was yet another whacking great carp!
This one looked the real deal right
from the word go, and estimates this
time were consistently around the 3335lb mark. I left Ady to help Paul, and
headed off to round Mike up and collect Ady’s Reubens and my G6. Back
at the End of Pads swim, complete
with all the necessary paraphernalia,
the rituals commenced. The Reubens
revealed yet another 31lb fish! Not
only that, but another PB! What a trip
this was turning into, and it was still
only our first morning! With the
weight confirmed at 31lbs 10oz, it
was time for the photo shoot.
With the fish returned and everybody up and in one place, it only
seemed like the right thing to do to
stay together for a bit and celebrate
each other’s captures. There were a
few bits and bobs of tackle required
by most of us, so we had a wander up
to Yateley Angling Centre and into the
newsagents next door. For anyone
who’s never been there, it’s a really
top shop with a friendly atmosphere.
Not only that, but they also stock
quite a few bits that you maybe don’t
see in most tackle shops, so it was a
nice opportunity to have a look round
and spend a bit of the hard earned.
Money spent, tackle boxes and food
supplies topped up, and we ambled
back round to the Pads Lake. The
weather then once again took a turn
for the worse (or better, depending on
how you are looking at it), with strong
winds and rain battering into the
Pads/Car Park bank for most of the
late morning and afternoon.
Around 10am a Cemex Fisheries
manager turned up with what was
fairly obviously three Sparsholt lads
on work experience. It turns out the
fisheries manager and the three lads
were down for the week Siltexing
(liming) a few of the lakes. In fact the
Pads Lake had already been done not
long before our visit. There was, from
memory, about ten tons of this Siltex
in the car park, and it was due to be
introduced to the Split Lake. The plan
was to move it up on the pallets it
was currently sitting on, using a forklift, and then distribute it throughout
the lake by boat. There was one glar-
At 27lbs 2oz
I was far from
in fact I was
over the moon
ing fault with the plan though; they
didn’t have a forklift, and they were
not going to be getting one anytime
soon either! I kid you not; those guys
dragged that Siltex from the car park
up to the Split Lake using wheelbarrows and trolleys. Not only that, but
they did it in the worst weather imaginable. Those lads grafted their nuts
off, that day in particular, but also for
the rest of our stay. On top of that they
didn’t even get paid for it! Great work,
Anyway I’ve digressed a bit, so
Ady being impatient in Waiting Man’s!
back to the fishing. With the showing
of three good fish on the first night,
and more good weather (if you’re a
duck) on the way, I decided that
another, bigger, bucketful of spod mix
was required. Not the weather for
spodding, but you only get out what
you put in. I hid away in the bivvy,
and chopped up about a kilo each of
22mm and 16mm baits with a little
penknife – not easy as they were airdried. They were soon joined by the
same amount of each in whole baits,
and then topped off with the mixed
pellet and hemp, about 8-10kg in
total. The next couple of hours were
then spent standing out in the rain
and wind, repeatedly dispatching the
spod out to the spot. I’ve never really
done much fishing that required a
spod in the past; in fact by the end of
the second day, I think I had cast a
spod more times on that trip than I
ever had before. I was glad when I finished I can tell you. As Sod’s Law
would have it, once the spodding was
finished, the weather brightened up a
bit and stopped raining. Not one to
miss an opportunity, Ady and I were
soon kicking back and enjoying a
brew and chocolate biscuit (or five)
whilst feeling guilty watching the
guys repeatedly dragging their barrows past. I really wish I had taken a
photo of them, as you wouldn’t
believe the state they were in by the
end of the day – white from head to


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen