FREE LINE 03 - Page 46

Katie’s carping success continues!
Katie Watkinson banks a fish known as the Blind Fish, having had what appears to have been an
unstoppable year, at it once again Katie explained…
Oh yes, you guessed it! Yet again I was stuck at
work in central London, and it was looking very
good for a bite or two! It’s always the way with
me, I’m afraid; I do love my job, but it does have
a massive impact on the time I get on the bank.
Apart from the odd occasion most weeks, I can
only manage one quick overnighter. It was
Thursday, and the next few days were set to be
great conditions, both with the moon phases and
the weather. Anyone that tells you moon phases
don’t affect fish and their behaviour are wrong. I
myself was sceptical on this at first, but now to
me it’s a fact that a full moon, especially this time
of year will produce fish up and down the
country. Why? I do not know, but I’m sure there is
some mind blowing scientific reason for it. The
bonus of a full moon for me is that I can see more
than 3ft in front of me! My eyesight is pretty
awful, especially in low light conditions.
I had originally planned to load up the car on
Thursday night. I had already seen that the full
moon was having its effect with carpy captures
popping up all over the place, tagged #BigMoon
or #FullMoon and the like, all over social media,
teasing me to the point I thought about pulling a
sickie on Friday! Thursday was a fail, and no gear
got loaded in the car for the Friday night due to
not even making it home that night. Friday
evening rolled around, and I considered getting off the train and
attempting the mad dash home to load up the car and head down to
the pond, but I was so exhausted from my week at work, I don’t think
my body would have physically allowed me to! I have to say I did
regret being a wimp a few hours later when I got a text message from
my boyfriend who did make it there, saying he had already landed a
fish. The lake is a little on the tricky side and hadn’t produced any fish
for a while until the first night of the full moon when the fishing
switched on dramatically!
I was woken the next morning by a call from my boyfriend, asking
me to hurry down to do some photos of a fish he had in the retainer.
He has been after this fish for some time, so without hesitation I was
up and on my way down. After a quick professional like photo shoot,
I had to be on my way again.
The low stock venue is kept under the radar, and membership is
limited to 20-ish members. Having said that, it doesn’t take many to
be on for it to be classed as busy. After being there that morning, I
could see there weren’t many on, but my only option was to risk
turning up after lunch, as I had an appointment
to have my eyelashes done Saturday morning. Be
it a pain in the bum, I do still do girly stuff from
time to time! After lunch, I was already for the
journey down to the lake. Off I went, buzzing all
the way, knowing the lake was having a rare
streak of bites at current.
As I arrived, the wind picked up, and the clouds
looked heavy, so I was keen to get set up as soon
as possible. One of the members had to
reluctantly leave, as his girlfriend decided she
wanted to go out that evening. He hadn’t had
any fish the night before, but I was close to the
area fish had been seen. I jumped in his grave,
and his teabags still lay on the grass steaming as I
set up. I don’t know if you would class this as
poor angling or not, but however uncool jumping
in someone’s grave is, if it puts you on fish, it’s
got to be done, right?
Nothing was prepped for the session and this
always spells disaster for me. Nevertheless, I sat
there tying my rigs and changing my spools over
as the heavens opened! If only I was prepared I
could have been sat under my Tempest nice and
dry at this stage but no! I had three rods to get
out and three spots to bait in the pissing rain.
Bracing myself for the elements, I shot out from
shelter and put all three rods out. The left rod
was to a gravel spot at 25 wraps, the middle was hoofed out to 27
wraps next to a well-known underwater feature, and the third was
fished close at only 16 wraps to a silt area to my right. On all three
rods, I fished identical wafter rigs consisting of an 8in Kamo hooklink
and size 6 wide gape. I always like to extend the shank of the hook
with a curve made from a length of shrink tube. All three hooklinks
were quickly attached to my Heli-safe setup along with 3oz distance
With it still pouring down, I attempted to throwing stick out the
18mm CC Moore Live System free offerings, but I was struggling with
the furthest rod, so I had to call for the assistance of my boyfriend
who reluctantly ventured out into the rain to help me. Still
exhausted, I settled back into my brolly brewing a well-deserved tea
and cooking my dinner while trying to dry off all of my sodden
clothes. I looked a mess if I’m honest, but hey, at least I had pretty
eyelashes! The rain withdrew, and I sat watching the water waiting
for those all-important signs. I heard one or two fish crash to my left,
but they were well out of sight. It’s an area the fish visit in the early
hours of darkness. I knew I had a good chance still, as they had been
so active the past few nights.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen