FREE LINE 03 - Page 230

(Left) The bait mix ready to go – the
more boilies the quicker the bites
would come.
Below) The two hookbaits I use
them hard. I pulled in one of my rods
off the bottom, and set up my floater
rod. As the fish were only feeding a
short range, I decided to use a product I had never used before, but a few
friends had been using and caught
plenty on, a product called Driftwood
made by Kryston.
It is a mouldable brown putty that
can be moulded around the swivel of
the hooklink, giving you enough
weight to cast, and looking generally
like a piece of floating wood, hence
the name. I always use 10lb Drennan
double strength for my hooklink, and
a size 10 Solar X-Wide Gape hook,
connected to a size 11 flexi-ring
swivel with the Driftwood moulded
around the swivel. By this time I had
been feeding these fish for around 45
minutes, and after a couple more
pouchfuls of mixers, I cast the baited
rig beyond the fish, and very gently
pulled it just onto the back of the area
of mixers I had been introducing, with
a couple more pouchfuls around the
hook bait. I could see around ten to 15
fish going mad on the mixers, and I
was just praying I would get a bite
before any birds moved in. It was only
out about five minutes when a huge
explosion erupted on the surface, and
I was into a good fish, which was
steaming off into open water. The fish
was very powerful, but I had good
faith in my strong hooks, and gently
eased it in, allowing it to run on every
lunge. After a heart-stopping battle,
the fish was in, and I could see it was
another decent common. As soon as I
lifted it, I knew it was another good
fish, and I was proved right in the
shape of a beautiful 31lb 6oz specimen. I was amazed at what great
condition these fish were in, and such
beautiful fish too. After all the frantic
goings-on, the fish had moved off and
the bird life moved in. I put the third
rod back out to the baited area, and
sat back thinking of how the session
had turned out. The evening time
proved quiet, so around midnight I
put another few spods of bait out.
It was not long before I was away
again; the top-up of food having done
the trick, and another 20lb mirror
graced the net. At 3am, I had another
30lb mirror, this one weighing 31lb
exactly, and then until around 7am I
was catching steadily once again. By
this time I had now caught 47 fish,
including another 30lb common of
30lb 9oz, taking the tally up to eight
30’s. I was physically exhausted, and
although I didn’t want to, I knew I
needed a break at home. I was slowly
packing my things away, chatting
with a few friends, when my left hand
rod just slowly pulled to the top, so I
struck into it and was met with a solid
lump the other end. This fish didn’t
power off like the rest had done;
instead it came very quickly towards
me. Before long it was close in and
down to my left, trying to head into
the snags, but after steady pressure, I
tempted it away from the bushes and
managed to get it back in close to the
net. After seeing it roll a couple of
times, I could see it was a deep fish
and a decent size, and after a few
more lunges it was in the net, and a
sigh of relief was let out. I lifted the
fish out onto the mat, and it felt heavier than anything else I had caught
that session. I was excited at the
thought that it could be the biggest of
the session, and this was confirmed
when the needle spun round to 36lb
6oz. As I was getting ready for the
photos, Dave Benton arrived, and he
confirmed it as a fish called Kurt,
which had been named by head
bailiff, Paul. A few snaps and the fish
was gently placed back and away she
went. To say I was pleased was an
understatement; I was amazed at the
session I had just had, and it was not
long before my swim was full of other
anglers, talking about the last few
days. As I was packing away, I had
another fish, this time a small mirror
of around 18lb, bringing the session to


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen