FREE LINE 03 - Page 84

Diary of a Carp Addict
Tony Moulder was happy
with his three 30’s.
small pecs, apparently called Melted
Pecs, at around 30lb, so that was a
nice start to the session. The photos
were done and back went Melted
Pecs, none the worse.
In the early hours in the morning I
lost a good one, and I was really worried in case it was Hendrix. Later in
the morning the sun came back out,
so I reeled in and went back round to
climb my tree and see which fish
were still about. Another thing that
got me thinking was that during the
night I was getting lots of liners close
in, only a couple of rod lengths out.
After my survey of the channel, I
would have a little plumb up to see
just what was out there where I was
getting the liners. As I shinned back
up the tree I instantly saw a few fish,
then sitting on its own just under the
surface was Hendrix acting just the
same as the previous day, and being
very unsociable. Well at least it wasn’t
the one I had lost in the early hours…
The liners in the night would definitely be larger fish catching my slack
lines as they patrolled about during
the dark hours. I flicked out just past
where I thought they were catching
my lines, and slowly pulled back. It
felt fairly smooth, and then it suddenly pulled up a ledge. On the ledge
it was a firmer bottom of clay and
stone, and then it pulled tight against
a weedbed. I let the float up perfectly
– that just had to be the spot! A mate,
Lloyd, had moved in next door, and I
called to him and said, “Mate, that just
has to be the spot!” As I reeled in the
marker it pulled in some of the weed
– the long stringy type, and my
favourite. I double-checked the spot,
and early evening cast a single grain
of maize, with a golf ball sized funnel
web bag of pellets just hooked on the
hook. It went out bang on where I
wanted it, and I slackened the line off
and settled down for the night ahead.
Lloyd and I sat there chatting away
drinking tea and talking carp, as you
do, and at around ten-ish, without any
liners, that close rod was away flying.
“Bloody hell,” I said to Lloyd as I lifted
the rod up high. It had taken a fair bit
of line, and before I knew it the fish
was slowly making its way around to
my left. This was not good, as it was
making its way out of the channel and
round to my left into the other part of
the lake, and the line was close to the
trees. Too late – it was round them,
and I could now feel the line on the
branches. I kept the rod bent round to
the left and the tip low, hoped for the
best, and slowly I was making
progress – otherwise I would be getting in the lake. Lloyd was there to
give a hand; he shone his torch on the
line, and I could see that I was now
clear of danger. The water in front is
very shallow, and Lloyd had his
waders, so he waded out with the net.
The fish was now in front, and after a
few more last effort lunges, I was
walking back for Lloyd to net my
catch. I couldn’t see what was going
on, but I knew it was near. “Got it,”
Lloyd said – what a relief! Lloyd put
his head torch on, looked in the net,
and what he said just blew me away,
“Mate, I think its Hendrix.” “Shut up,”
I said (sounding just like Vicky Pollard), “Let me have a proper look.” He
said, “Yeah, you got Hendrix!” Well I
just could not believe my ears; I was
absolutely made up. She had only
been out a little while ago, and when
I was watching her I just thought, no
way, that fish had the right hump, and
she won’t be out... But Hendrix was
mine, and we lifted her to the scales,
where she went 43lb 8oz – what a
result! I got some good night shots
and slipped her back. I can’t remember what happened for the rest of the
night, but many thanks to Lloyd for all
his help and Galvin who came out so
late to do me some photos. Cheers,
chaps – where would you be without
Cleveley is a first class fishery, and
a credit to Ben who owns it. I have
had some of my best ever fishing over
at Cleveley, so thanks mate. I will def-


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen