freeline-20 - Page 225

Elstow 2009 Season
with pole elastic before attaching 14mm pop-up hookbaits
to the rigs and getting those out to the spot. I already had
a far margin tree as a marker for any future recasts, should
I have to make them. The necessary bucket of my spod
concoction, which I thought would be needed, was soon
deposited around the marker float, and nearly an hour later
I was getting the rest of my camp sorted out.
It was fast approaching dark when I had an absolutely
screaming take on my left hand rod. After picking the rod
up I tightened right down on the clutch and really leant
into the fish. My thoughts were as long as I could keep it
moving then I knew that it would be possible to get it
through the various weedbeds that were in the area that I
was fishing to. Things went really well, and it wasn’t too
long before I was returning a nice carp that had pulled the
needle on the scales round to 24lb 10oz. After attaching a
fresh bait to the rig I got cast that out to the spot and got
back to the bivvy and made myself a cup of coffee. I managed to stay up until just gone 2am and had heard a few
carp crashing out a little further to the left of where I was
fishing. I was hopeful and thought to myself, as long as I
was fishing the area correctly I should, at some point during my remaining time, get another chance. I left them to it
and decided to get my head down for a few hours.
I was awake at about 5am, and as I looked at the lake
two things became apparent. First of all the wind was considerably stronger than it had been a few hours ago, and
secondly the spot I was fishing to was slicking up very
nicely. Over the course of the next hour a couple of carp
head and shouldered around the area, and the slicking kept
starting then stopping. I was left sitting there watching
thinking that something had to be wrong with my rigs or
presentation. After a couple of ciggies and a few cups of
coffee, I was at my wits end. The carp were obviously out
near and around the area, and I couldn’t understand why I
hadn’t had a bite. Then, just when I was thinking I’d blown
my chance, the middle rod went into meltdown mode. After
picking the rod up it soon became apparent the carp was
on a proper mission, moving through the water at a fair old
rate of knots. It wasn’t too long before it appeared on the
surface, and that’s where it stayed all the way in to the
waiting net. Now, if only the rest of the carp in the lake
would be so obliging. After sorting everything thing out, a
weight of 31lbs 14oz was settled for. I managed to get a
couple of good pictures with the remote, and I soon had the
carp back in its home.
I followed that up quite quickly with a fresh hookbait and
a new rig, and got that out to the spot without too much
trouble. My little idea about only just pushing the tail rubber onto the lead clip and fishing with a really tight clutch
was working. The combination of the two things had the
desired effect and got the fish to come up in the water, and
in doing so made playing the carp a little easier. I topped
the spot up with another six spods of the mix and got a coffee on the go. It was to be a couple of hours before the next
run came.
I was actually sat on a wooden sleeper just at the back
of where the rods were positioned when the left hand rod
bleeped a couple of times before going into a very nice
one-toner. I was left gobsmacked at the speed the spool
was spinning, as the clutch was done up quite tightly. As I
picked the rod up I was left just holding on as the carp
powered off up the lake to my left. As a matter of fact I had
to grab my landing net and get to the swim next door, as
the fish was still going for it big style and was starting to kite
even further left, which would, if I wasn’t careful, cause some
serious problems. After a mad dash through some horrible
smelling shallow water I arrived at the end of the swim next
door. The carp was now under some semblance of control
and after a couple minutes I managed to catch a glimpse of
it, and when I did, I just thought to myself that it was one seriously big fish. The carp still had plenty of energy, and at one
point I thought it was going to gain the sanctuary of a bush
to the left of the swim I was standing in. I really did have to
clamp down on it; the bloody bend in the rod was just nuts,
and right at the last minute I managed to turn him.
He was getting tired and the runs he was making were getting less powerful. He made one more mad dash for freedom
before popping up to the surface, and that was when I managed to get him into the landing net. Gathering the net and
rod up, I lifted my prize up and made the short but stinking
crossing back to my swim. I soon had everything ready for
the weighing and photos. Getting him into the sling and
hoisting him up onto the scales ended up with the needle
going round and settling on 39lb 5oz. It really was a cracking
looking carp with a few scales around its tail and a few more
underneath its dorsal fin. I managed to get a few nice pictures of it with the remote before slipping it back in the lake.
After sorting the rod out and attaching a fresh hookbait I got
that rod back out to the spot and put another couple of spods
over the area.
Join us next month when the story continues. n
For more on Reuben Heaton, Sportscale & RH brands
call 01455 293000 or email
Join Reuben Heaton on Facebook for all our latest news
Exclusive distributors for eagle claw
brands in the UK and Ireland


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen