freeline-21 - Page 208

Five Forties
Snubnose Common 27lb 2oz – a nice
baited the spot with a mixture of
hemp, tigers, casters and chopped
boilie – a bait that was on test from
Mainline at the time, the New Grange.
My plan was to bait this spot but not
fish it for a day or two, hopefully to get
them feeling the margin was a safe
place to be. I have noticed a lot with
pressured waters that the fish won’t
eat the bait straight away, and will
sometimes take two or three days to
get on it.
I was fishing with three rods at long
range just with single baits; a stiff
hinge on two and bottom bait on the
other, hoping to just nick a bite. I have
found on a lot of hard waters that a
single hookbait will get a lot more
bites than big beds of bait. In my view
when a carp comes across a bed of
bait, it knows there’s a high possibility of a trap being there, but with a
single bait a carp has nothing to think
about – it either takes it or leaves it.
Think how many times you use a
throwing stick and the occasional
bait goes miles away from your lines.
I bet that bait will get picked up more
readily than the bait all around your
The first night of the session went
by quietly with just the occasional
bream and tench rolling over during
the night. I was up watching the
water at 5am just as the mist was
rolling across the mirror like surface. I
was just putting the kettle on for the
first cup of tea of the morning when a
large crash had me scrambling out for
a look at where the fish had showed.
There were large rings rippling the
surface just round to the right around
40 yards out, so my plan was hopefully coming together. I could just
imagine the fish all happy along the
margin keeping out the way of all the
lines out in the lake. I was so tempted
to put the rod to the showing fish, but
it would ruin my plan with the margin
spot, so I declined, begrudging my
choice of margin spot. I retreated to
the brolly as my kettle was now boiling over. I sat down by the rods
watching the water for the next couple of hours, but with just the odd
bream and tench rolling, it was quiet.
As it was nearing two o’clock it
was soon bbq time and a nice social
and a cold beer or two would go
down nicely. After a good catch up
a n d p l e n t y o f f o o d a n d l a g e r, I
retreated back to the rods. They was
already clipped up, so all three rods
were done with minimal disturbance
and a nice evening was spent watching the water. It was a perfect summer’s evening; the lake looked simply
stunning, and as the sun went down it
started coming alive. I heard at least
five shows all over my three rods. I
went to sleep early, as I felt a take was
going to happen, and I would hopefully be awoken by a one-noter.
I awoke just before first light with
that gutting feeling when nothing has
happened. The bobbins lay motionless on the floor and the lines hung
limp drooping between the eyes.
They were so still even the spiders
had made their webs between them. I
was still a little more hopeful than the
spider, which obviously thought I had
no chance. Again the morning looked
perfect for a bite; the forecast was for
the day to be warm with a light
breeze blowing straight at me. I felt so


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen