freeline-22 - Page 162

Elstow 2009 Season
have spent in this spot watching carp
and learning about them would be
better described in days rather than
hours. During my first year on the lake
I walked into this area and found nine
carp ranging in size from the upper-20
to the mid-30 bracket. I had a bucket
of my spod mix with me, and as the
carp made their way out of the area I
opened my bucket and put three double handfuls of the mix out, just in
front of some snags. A few minutes
later the carp returned, and I watched
open mouthed as they all started to
feed. The thing that shocked me was
the speed at which they polished all
the bait off.
Twenty minutes later there were
only a few grains of sweetcorn left. It
was whilst standing there that it
dawned on me that when fishing and
spodding, you really couldn’t put too
much bait out for them. The camera I
had at the time wasn’t good enough
to get any decent pictures of them in
this area. Times change, and one day
I was fortunate enough to be in this
area armed with a Canon 450D with a
Polarising lens attached, and boy did I
get some cracking pictures of some
big carp having a bit of a feed up. A
couple of those pictures are my
favourites, and you only have to look
at them to understand why!
A few hours after starting my walk
around the lake found me making my
way back down to my swim, almost
ready for the night ahead. All that had
to be done was to get the rods out to
the spot, and three casts later everything was primed and ready. I just
hoped that the carp would be obliging and visit the area and have a
munch-up. The stove was fired up
and I got a coffee on the go and set
about sorting some dinner out. I kept
watching the lake well into the hours
of darkness but failed to spot any carp
activity. With heavy eyelids I decided
to call it a night and got my head
down for my final night at about 1am.
Apart from a small liner from the middle rod at about 2.30 the rest of the
night passed by quietly.
I was awake just before it was fully
light and sat there with a nice strong
coffee watching the water. A couple
of carp had head and shouldered
about ten yards to the back of where
the rigs were, so I was fairly confident
that I may get another chance of a
fish. As I kept watching I heard a
really big carp crash out up to the left
of my swim. Getting up and walking
to the front of the swim I looked left
and just caught sight of another big
fish crashing down into the water. I
carried on watching the water in front
of my swim and the swim up to my
left for over an hour. There were a lot
of carp showing in front of the Religious Man’s swim.
I wasn’t overly concerned though
as quite a few carp were also sticking
their heads out of the water in front of
me. One of the lads from the other
rota paid me a visit and asked what
had been going on. I explained to him
what I had caught and that there
were a hell of a lot of carp showing in
front of the swim up to my left. As we
stood there chatting, another two or
three carp threw themselves out of
the water. That was enough to convince the fellow to pitch his gear in
that swim for a while. He wanted to
come into the swim I was in and I
said that I would be off at about 10.30
as I had to be at a meeting later that
morning. As he departed he said to
just give him a shout if I needed a
hand with anything.
The fella could only have been
gone ten minutes when the left hand
rod absolutely belted off. As soon as I
picked the rod up I knew that I was
attached to a big fish, as there was no
way I could stop or turn the carp on
that first initial run, and I reckon it
must have stripped about 40 yards of
line from the spool. I really don’t
believe that it was the pressure that I
(Top) What the lads and I call cousin
Colin weed.
(Left) Looking to the left of the lake
from the first car park. I reckon it looks
bloody great.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen