freeline-22 - Page 192

Two Lakes,Two Thirties
that predictably in fishing, especially
not on low stocked waters. After an
hour I took the waders off and positioned a rod with a small PVA bag on
in the shallows. The sun felt scorching as I sat in the porch of my bivvy,
but behind the bivvy in the shade, the
cold northeasterly breeze really put a
chill in the air, and I was starting to
wonder if the carp had or would turn
up in the shallows in these condi-
tions. By noon I hadn’t seen any signs
of the fish so when young Chappy
came round to drain my tea supply, I
gave him a brew and asked if he
minded watching my rods as I scaled
the tree. The sun was behind a cloud
and a ripple was on the water so I
couldn’t make out a great deal below
the surface, so I photographed a grass
snake as it swam across the bay. Just
as it reached the reeds below me the
breeze dropped, and the sun came out
and illuminated the bay again. I
instantly saw a grey fish below me,
then a darker fish drifted into view,
and in the end I counted about six
carp. I love watching the fish in the
water and trying to identify them, but
I wanted to get back on the rods, so I
took the odd snap and descended the
tree. It’s amazing how the fish can
mill around just under the surface
without causing a ripple or a single
indication as to their presence.
I still had two rods left in deep
water, but I wanted another rod in the
shallows. I hovered my hand over the
right hand rod, but then changed my
mind because of the fish that had
showed over it four hours earlier and
brought in the middle rod instead. I
tied a choddy on and flicked it into
the shallow water, close to where I
(Above) Twin Common at 30lb
12lboz, the first thirty from the Car
Park Lake.
(use whichever ones fit best)
(Left) Rods out in the bay.
had seen the fish. After a couple more
teas, I heard an alarm and looked up
to see the right hand rod straining
around in the rests. I had seen a number of fish in the shallows and the rod
that went off was the one left in the
deeper water! The fight was very
uneventful and steady; it just seemed
to meander on the surface with its
dorsal out of the water, and I managed to get him in the net in no time
at all. When I peered into the net I was
quite surprised to see it was bigger
than I thought, and I was very pleased
to bank my first thirty from the water
at 30lb 12oz. He looked stunning in
the sunlight, with deep bronze scales,
and I was fairly sure it was the fish
that crashed in the area in the morning. The photos turned out well and
Chappy did a sterling job with the
camera… Well, he did once he got to
grips with the manual/auto focus settings! I later found out it was one of
the Twin Commons, which I was
more than happy to open my annual
account on the water with. n


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen