freeline-22 - Page 203

A Special End to a Season
was the first time since joining Sticky
so after weighing it at a weight of
30lb 6oz, Dan did a couple of quick
shots. What a result, less than two
hours on the venue and I’d had one.
After getting the rod back out, Dan
left and I had the place to myself.
Through the evening a couple of fish
rolled close to where my hookbaits
were, but more fish were showing
back over in front of the Dell. A good
fish went over just behind my right
rod at 4.48am but there was no further action overnight or in the morning, and late morning I packed up
with the view to returning early on
find the lake empty. I rang the head
bailiff to make sure it wasn’t actually
closed first, and when he said it
wasn’t I went looking for carp. To be
honest I was going to just go straight
in Chestnuts, but after a quick look
round the lake it became quite clear
that a large proportion of the lake’s
stock were sitting in the No.1 snags,
were looking really active, and I felt I
had a chance of a fish as they left the
snags at night. It couldn’t be better; it
was the last week of the season and I
was the only person on the venue.
By 7.15pm two single Vor-tex popup hookbaits were positioned on the
edge of the snags on multi-rigs tied
using the ESP Striptease Two-Tone in
silt finish and size 5 Stiff Riggers. With
the rods out I set up the brolly and
then made myself a quick meal. Dan
the bailiff popped in on his way out
from Fox Pool, and while we were
chatting, not 25 minutes after casting
out and while I was still eating my
food, I had what I thought was a savage liner off one of the rods. Dan commented that he thought I was in, but I
just said, “No, it’s just a liner” and I
ignored it and continued eating.
When the bobbin smashed into the
alarm a few seconds later though, I
realised it may not be just a liner. I put
my plate down and picked up the rod.
With that the rod hooped over, it was
clear that I was into a carp. I quickly
got the fish away from the snags and
after a short, hectic fight Dan slipped
the net under the Big Fully. I don’t
think Dan could believe how calmly I
had treated the situation, but I really
did think it was just a liner. Although
I had caught the Big Fully before, it
the Thursday. I had thought about
just staying on and using this as my
48-hour session, but that would have
meant going elsewhere, and I didn’t
fancy that. I stayed on the venue for
most of the day just walking round
and watching where the fish were,
and from what I had seen it was clear
they were back in the Dell snag. As I
pulled off for the evening I was praying that no one would turn up and go
in the swim. My intention was to fish
Fox Pool for the night, but I couldn’t
bring myself to do it, and I actually
slept in the car park at the back of my
van. That way I would hear if anyone
turned up. I set my alarm for 4am and
tried to get my head down.
I hardly slept, but eventually 4am
came and I got myself up and started
walking the lake for signs of fish
(Top) Chestnuts, home for a few days.
(Above) I had something special in
my net.
(Left) Plenty of water at hand at all


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen