freeline-23 - Page 151

Tail of the Nene
cost me my chance at her? Or had
she been gorging on my prebait? I
suppose I will never know, but all I
know is it will be a while before she
graces the bank again.
With my rods in I took a walk
around the lake in the search of a few
fish. I found a couple in the Car Park
swim milling about, and there were
also three fish sitting in the weed near
to where I had prebaited. The Broken
Back Common was the biggest along
with one of the Twins and a 20. On my
short time on the lake I had seen
every known fish, most more than
once, but I still hadn’t seen Cut Tail; I
just hoped he had survived the winter. I tried not to worry about it and I
concentrate on the three fish in front
of me and how to tempt one of them.
The best option for stealth and line
lay would have been to stalk them
from under the tree, but they didn’t
look up for a feed in the immediate
future so I decide to flick a rod over
from the Plantation side. So I lined it
up and with a light lead and choddy
and flicked it over.
T h e r e a s o n I d i d n ’t m o v e i s
because I was sure the key to the
water was the regular baiting of a
spot. During the latter part of the winter I had baited heavily with maggots,
corn and other easily digestible baits.
This was done in the swim opposite
the Planation where most of the April
captures had come from. As far as I
could tell all the fish off the deck had
come from the spots I was baiting up
until mid March. It seemed like the
fish would return to spots where they
saw a regular supply of bait, so I
hoped my centeral spot could be one
of them – but the trouble was I could-
n’t prebait it if anyone was on the
That evening the fish started showing at the enterance to the bay in the
area of my prebait. Although it wasn’t
my water, no one was in the area so I
put two rods as close to them as I
could. Nothing happened in the
night, and following morning they
were still there. So I prebaited the
area again before I left.
The following week I only got one
whole day off work, but I still made it
to the lake. I climbed the tree near my
prebaited area and it was rammed
with carp! There was most of the
lakes stock there; I counted 18 carp at
one point, so there was only a handful
in the rest of the lake! However Cut
Tail wasn’t there and I was starting to
get worried.
I dropped into the swim that controlled the area and flicked out three
rods, two on chods and a balanced
bait onto the visible clear spot. Nothing happened in the night, but the following morning I started getting liners on all the rods. Even though it was
overcast and drizzling with the rain
the fish were just under the surface
and right in the margins patrolling the
edge of the reeds. I didn’t waste
much time, and I soon had both choddies fishing in close. I was sure the
fish could see my line on the other
rod, even though I was using fluorocarbon, so I moved it from the swim
and placed it on single sticks near the
climbing tree to reduce the amount of
line in the water. The clear spot that I
had been baiting was getting bigger
and was looking polished; it was
about three rod lengths from the bank
on a raised bar, just off a point of
reeds. I’m guessing it’s about 3ft
deep, with deeper water each side.
There is a very small reedy bay just to
the left of the climbing tree and in
front of the spot that the fish have
been using and behind the tree is the
Keepnet Bay, So the spot is a good
passing point between the bays and
the only clear spot.
I spent most of the day up the tree
watching the fish and how they react
in a fishing situation. I’m sure they
knew they were being fished for, but
that didn’t force them out of the area.
I put in a few freebies and managed
(Top) I could watch the fish’s reaction
to bait from up the tree.
(Left) Fish rolling on the spot


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen