freeline-23 - Page 221

Two Nights,Two lakes,Two Forties
A pale hard-fighting mirror, 27lb 4oz.
them onto the spot as well as creating
a feeding activity from silver fish,
which I’m also sure is an attractant.
For anyone that hasn’t read my diary
before the bait I’m using is The Edge
from Aqua Dynamix.
I must have only had the bivvy up
for an hour or so when I received the
first bite, and it took me a bit by surprise. It was an absolute screaming
take and by the time I got my boots
off and the waders on, it had stopped.
I lifted the rod into nothing. I mean literally nothing; the line had been cut
clean through. I was gutted; I had
never had a problem with cut offs in
the swim before, and as far as I knew
there weren’t any snags in the whole
lake, so I was at a bit of a loss as to
what had happened. The trouble with
the swim and the area I was fishing
was that I had to have my rods in the
water and round the corner of reeds.
The water levels were up so I had to
get into my waders before I could get
to the rods. This wasn’t ideal, but
there was no way round it, so it had to
be endured. I tied up a fresh rig and
recast it to the area followed by a kilo
of The Edge in whole and crumb form,
and then retired to bed.
The night passed without any
action and I was awoken just after
dawn as a family of mallards fed on
the spod spill just off my rod tips. I
must admit I felt terrible; I initially
thought I was coming down with the
flu, but in reality I think that maybe it
was just lack of sleep. I’m sure anyone reading this with a young family
can relate that; there just aren’t
enough hours in the day to balance
out work, family and fishing. All I
wanted to do was sleep, but between
the mallards and the weed gathering
on the line it just didn’t seem possible
with all the bleeps, so I turned the
sounder box down and stuck my head
under the covers. At around 8am I
heard a short series of bleeps, followed a few seconds later by another
few bleeps. All I could see of the rods
from my bivvy were the butts, and
there was a duckling under them so I
assumed the rest of its family was
once again diving just off the tips.
Then just as I sunk deeper into the
bag in search of the much need rest
the sounder box screamed as I was
left in no doubt that it was an angry
carp trying to distance itself from the
area it had just felt the prick of the
I rolled out of bed, wrestled the
waders on, jumped into the water and
grabbed the rod. The fish found a
weedy sanctuary more or less straight
away, and the whole lot was solid and
unmoving. I tried constant pressure,
slack line and changing the angle of
pull by walking down the point, but it
wouldn’t move. I put one of the syndicate’s boats in the water ready to go
out, but I really didn’t fancy being in
the large wooden craft in the strong
wind, and when I noticed the water
seeping into the bottom of it, I made
the decision not to use it. The trouble
was the only good boat (the Sportyak)
was on the far bank, next to an angler
called Ryan. I didn’t have his number,
but I managed to get a message to
him via BBM. Ryan executed my plan
admirably by judging wind direction
down to the finest degree, and the
“Mary Celeste” drifted inch perfectly
into my swim. I wasted no time in
jumping aboard and pulling myself
out to the spot where the fish was
weeded. I couldn’t believe how solid
it was in the weed in mid-May and
the Greys prototype blanks that I was
using were bent double in an attempt
to free the fish. Eventually after the
fourth pass it started move and a
huge ball of weed came to the surface. I netted it but I knew in my heart
that the fish was gone! I was gutted
– two lost fish out of two takes. I
kicked myself for not investigating
the initial bleeps and wondered if the
fish could have been any of the big


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen