freeline-23 - Page 231



A Move to the Roach Pit
(Above) Vortex pop-ups glugged on
L-Zero 30 doing the damage once
again.
(Right) A moody looking evening on
K1.
(Below) My first proper look down the
length of Roach Pit.
and had the pump running. I checked
the oxygen levels and they were low
but not critical, but if the fish had a
gill disease, which I suspected they
had, then the low oxygen was not
helping, as the gills wouldn’t be getting the required amounts needed in
order to breathe properly. I then had a
call from Dan to say that CEFAS had
called back; they were coming in
along with the EA and they would be
there in the morning. Finally someone
was taking notice and something was
going to be done. This is all we
wanted, for someone to admit that
there was actually a problem, and by
the EA and CEFAS coming they must
think that there was indeed one.
CEFAS wanted a live fish if possible
so that they could see what the problem was, and fortunately we managed
to net them one in the shape of the
Big Fully, as it had been drifting about
on the surface for the majority of the
afternoon. Sadly though a further
three died that afternoon taking to
total so far to 11, and the way it was
looking, it wouldn’t be long before the
rest popped up dead.
Both the EA and CEFAS arrived the
next day, and as soon as the Big Fully
was looked at the CEFAS guy told us
that there was clearly a gill disease.
Samples of both the water and fish
were taken, but the EA wanted to
return the following day to electro fish
the water and take a couple of live
fish to run tests on. Cemex agreed to
allow this which was good of them,
and the following day the EA guys
returned and managed to catch a
couple, but to be honest, if these two
fish survived the day it would have
been a miracle, as they were on their
last legs and were caught with nets
and not the electro gear.
When the EA guys left, I decided
that I had had more than enough of
picking out dead fish and drew a line
under things as it was so hard to deal
with. I spoke to Rob and told him that
from now on it was down to someone
else to fish them out, as I needed to do
some angling and get my fishing head
back on. I was told that I would be
informed of the results from all the
tests, but as of yet I have not heard
anything. I did hear a rumour that the
EA results had confirmed the aggressive gill disease but also a high level
of fish lice, or argulus as it’s also
known, but I have not actually been
told this in person. To date I think the
death figure is around 17 fish
although other than a few low 20s
nothing has been seen in the lake for
a few weeks so my guess is that the
remaining fish died and didn’t pop up
to the surface. All in all it had been a
pretty shit few weeks, which ended in
the total demise of a very special
venue to me. It saddens me that we
couldn’t do anything to help these
fish but I feel that between Rob, Dan
and me, we did our best. RIP all those
fish that suffered in the Road Lake; I
hope that one day it returns to its former glory, but I feel this won’t be for
some years now.
I left the Road for the final time and
went over to K1 for a couple of days to
chill out. I ended up fishing alongside
Bob on there and we had a good couple of days. He fed me well, we had a
right old laugh and we both caught
fish too, which was a bonus. I only
had the one but it was a cracking Sutton that weighed in at 26lb 2oz. It fell
to a Vor-tex pop-up over my favourite
particle mixture, and it was nice to
have one after the past 20 days of shit.
I left for home on the Saturday morning with a clear head and ready to
start the challenge of a new water the
following week. That water was to be
FREE LINE 231

Paperturn



Powered by


Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook viewer
Search
Overview
Download as PDF
Print
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen