freeline-24 - Page 127

A Trio of Forty Commons
another night but with no further
action, and with the weather still miserable we packed up and headed
My next three-day stint was on the
14th May, and as I had spent a lot of
my time in the Little, I decided to
head straight to it. I found a lot of fish
down the bottom end of the lake
around a large bed of Norfolk reeds.
By 10am I had managed to get everything set up and in place. I had left my
house at 2am that morning, and by
this time I was knackered so decided
to have a bit of a kip. A couple of
hours passed and I woke feeling
refreshed, but confidence levels soon
fell. It was absolutely chucking it
down and a strong, cold wind had
picked up and was blowing straight
into the little reed-lined bay. I decided
to sit it out, but as the day passed less
and less activity was apparent, and by
6pm a move was on the cards. Luckily
for me the main lake was pretty quiet,
so I packed my gear away and
decided to get set back up in a swim
called the Grassy. I already knew the
spots I would fish my three rods to
and had little markers within the
bushes along the back of the swim so
it was just a case of walking out my
three rods, clipping up and casting
them out towards my markers on the
far bank along with a couple of
Spombs full of bait.
During the night I heard a couple of
fish bosh out. They sounded more
round to my right, but with the strong
westerly wind blowing across in front
of me I was hoping a couple of those
fish would move round in front of me
and hopefully drift over at least one of
my spots. Midday soon came around,
and with no action until 12.30pm,
when my left hand rod burst into life.
I quickly got to the rod and lifted into
what felt like a good fish, just slowly
plodding along with no erratic movements. Unfortunately not long into
the battle the hook pulled, leaving me
absolutely gutted, especially with it
feeling like a decent fish, but we can’t
win them all.
I got the rod sorted back out and
sat back hoping for another opportunity. There was no further action that
day nor through the night, and it wasn’t until 10.30 the next morning when
I sat watching my left hand spot and
out of the blue a large fish poked its
head out directly over my spot. Within
ten minutes a further three fish did
the same, all directly over my bait.
Excitement kicked in and I sat there
thinking to myself it’s just got to go,
and that it did 15 to 20 minutes later
when the left hand rod absolutely
belted off. I picked up the rod and
made contact with what felt again
like a big fish just slowly plodding
along, but this was wasn’t getting
away. Ritchie came round from the
swim next door who already had his
waders on, so I got in to help with the
netting of the fish. After a couple of
minutes I had the fish in the margins
ready to slip into the net. Ritchie
slipped the net under the fish and I
had no idea what he had just slipped
the net under. I asked him, and with a
grin on his face he said it was a good
common, probably mid-30s. I got my
waders on and went out to see what
was in the net. I peered into the bottom of the net and instantly knew
that there was no mid-30 in there –
more mid 40s. We got the fish out and
onto the mat and pulled the net back
revealing the Chesnut Common, all
44lb 10oz of her – an absolutely fantastic moment and fish, more than
making up for the one I’d lost the previous day, and without a doubt probably one of the best looking commons
swimming. n
48lb 10oz.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen