freeline-24 - Page 209

A Rewarding Return to Theale Lagoon
Around 10pm the rod fished on the
bottom of the slope almost got ripped
in and a nice pretty mid-20 mirror
was soon nestling in the mesh after a
very lively fight. I replaced the rod on
the same spot along with the same
amount of bait and retired for the
night. It wasn’t till the first rays of
light that the rod fished to the pads
bleeped twice. I opened my eyes just
in time to see the bobbin begin its
speedy ascent and the rod tip buck-
ling in the rests. I was out of the bag
and onto the rod within seconds as
the fish bored hard for the safety of
the pads and unfortunately became
stuck in the stems. After much persuasion, I decided to place the rod
back on the rests and hope it came
out of its own accord. After five minutes the rod pulled round. I was on it
in a second and was pulling the fish
as hard as I trusted the Korda Choddy
hook. It worked and soon a decent
fish was seen in the crystal clear margins. As it rolled into the net I thought
it was another 30lb common. On the
scales it fell slightly short at 29lb 8oz,
but was stunning in the early rays of
light. I packed away again with a
beaming smile on my face and was
really enjoying my time on the new
lake. Before I left I spread the remainder of my bait over the two spots and
planned a return in a couple of days.
The problem with fishing a club
water is that a lot of the time you will
bait up spots only to find the swim
occupied on your return. Fortunately I
was lucky to find the swim unoccupied on my return; the spots looked a
lot cleaner and the gravel looked as
though it had been polished. The rods
were clipped up to the spots from the
previous overnighter and without too
many problems both rods were soon
settled into position, the lines slackened right down and the usual bait
placed over each rod. I had a fitful
night’s sleep as I could hear the occasional fish rolling over in the oil-like
dark water and the occasional ripples
rolling into the reeds in the margins. I
couldn’t help but feel a bite was going
to occur at any moment.
I had obviously dozed off, as the
next thing I knew I was being
dragged from my slumber as my right
rod was belting off, and I could hear
line being torn from the spool. The
moment I applied pressure on the
spool I was forced to release it as the
unseen fish was still taking line at a
steady rate and was now coming
dangerously close to a marginal bush.
The rod was creaking to the point of
breaking as the fish bored hard for the
snags, and a big boil on the top, right
in the overhangs of the bush, had my
heart in my mouth. After what
seemed like an eternity the fish was
soon led away from the snags, and,
coughing water, was ready for the
net. I took a deep breath after the fish
slid into the net folds – it was one of
the best fights I had ever had from a
common. It weighed just over 32lb
although looked to be carrying
Join us next month as Craig continues his campaign on the 400 acre pit.
(Top) A 29lb common on a
overnighter at the Club Water.
(Left) A 32lb from in the edge –
another overnighter at the Club


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen