freeline-24 - Page 98

Roach Pit Royalty
what had probably gone on. The rain
got heavier throughout the day, and
by late afternoon it was absolutely
hammering it down. I didn’t see a
thing all day other than rain, and I also
found out that I had a leaky brolly too,
and that my bed was soaked. I was
going to get an early night in as I was
worn out, but just after 10.30pm I witnessed a good fish throw itself out of
the water just down to my left, a few
yards off the left rod. I sat up for a further hour, but nothing more happened
and I decided to get some muchneeded sleep.
I was back up at 5am the following
morning, but it looked dead. Previous
mornings I had seen fish fizzing up
around the spot, but
today I saw nothing, and
I was convinced that the
fish had done the off.
Within an hour though things
changed and I started to see fish
through the horrid rain that had continued to fall. At a little after 8.30am I
saw a really good fish show directly
opposite me in Sanctuary’s water. By
midmorning it had gone quiet again,
but I felt that the fish were still about,
as every now and then I saw a bird
spook or a slight rocking of the water.
I decided not to reel in but leave the
rods out until late afternoon, and this
could have paid off when at 2.15pm I
had an absolute melter of a take on
my right hand rod. The take was so
violent that despite having a loose
clutch the spool couldn’t keep up
with what the fish wanted to take and
it ripped it from the rest.
I managed to get hold of the rod
before it disappeared into the lake,
and also managed to loosen the
clutch further, but I was still being
flat-rodded each time I tried to lift the
rod up. Eventually though I managed
to get some sort of control over it, but
with that it powered off once again
and I could feel the leadcore grating
against something as it went over the
top of a gravel bar. Suddenly the leadcore stopped grating; it was at that
moment that I realised it was now on
the mono, and at that moment the
line parted! I was gutted and
launched the rod into the bushes to
my side. That was three losses now
within three weeks and this on a lake
where three bites was good going in
a year! I was not a happy man to say
the least. Deep down I knew that
what I had lost was a good-sized fish
too, and this didn’t help matters. I
needed to clear my head, so I reeled in
the other rods and went for a walk.
Marcus came round to see me and I
explained to him what had happened.
He tried to cheer me up, but it was
going to take a fair bit to do that, as I
was fuming with myself despite there
(Top left) A misty morning in the Day
swim just before the first bite.
(Top right) Readying Orange Scale.
(Left) The Little Fully at 19lb 14oz.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen