freeline-25 - Page 107

Two Nights and a Day
he famous Redesmere
in Cheshire; they say it
can make an angler or
break one, and after 15
nights catching only
bream it was time for a
new approach. I had been caught up
in the rat race due to work commitments and arriving at the lake on a
Friday evening to find very few or no
pegs was doing nothing for my catch
rates. You could bet your life that
there had been no sightings of any
fish in front of the swims that were
found to be vacant or there could be a
buoy left there by the sailing club
meaning that it was too dangerous to
fish. It’s no fun sitting there watching
fish show if you can’t get in the right
pegs to fish for them. All you can do is
hope that they move, and in my eyes
this was just a waste of time as I wasn’t there just to enjoy the beautiful
surroundings! Although I wasn’t
catching at the time, I was however
learning a little about the 45-acre
mere, its inhabitants and the tactics
that were employed by the anglers
who fished there.
The following year I had started in
a new job working as factory manager at Frank Warwick Baits. I had
spent seven years crawling around on
the floor putting wiring into commercial vehicles and trailers, so I was
hardly about to turn down Frank’s
o f f e r, a n d f i n a l l y m y l u c k h a d
changed. It’s strange how things turn
out – around 18 years ago I used to
visit the tackle shop that Frank
owned at the time for rig and bait
making lessons, and now I run his
factory. Of course, one perk of the job
is that I get to use what we believe is
the best bait currently available, and
the success stories from anglers all
over Europe always tell a story.
Last year I returned to Redesmere
with a new bait that it had never seen
and a plan that I felt would bag me
some of its finest old carp. In some
ways Redes is no different to any
other lake; it sees little pressure on a
Sunday afternoon, as the anglers
forced to fish at weekends often
return home to their families by dinner time at the latest to avoid being in
the dog house! This is when I would
arrive at the lake. I would have to be
at work the following morning, so I
hoped that 24 hours on fish would be
enough, but first I had to find them. I
could ask anglers who were packing
up if any fish have been out or if they
have seen anything, but there is a
chance that I could be sent on a wild
goose chase! I decided that it was a
better option to get to the lake at first
light when there is more chance of
seeing fish show, and if I had to wait
till dinner time for a swim then so be
it. A few hours in the right peg would
be more productive than a week in
the wrong one.
On my first visit a couple of weeks
into the new season, I found some
fish extremely quickly pretty much
right in front of my van, as I had
pulled up at the railings, which is
where the ducks get fed. The carp
would visit this area to pinch bread
from the bloated ducks, a meal that is
safe and available whenever they
want it. I have always found that
white baits work really well on waters
where the public have access to feed
the birds. I believe that without realising, the bird lovers are teaching carp
that white is safe by throwing in all
that bread for them to eat. I stood and
watched as two fish mopped up some
bread that had taken on water and
sunk to the bottom – this area could
be fished from the bank to the left but
the best peg was taken.
I sat and watched, and as the sun
got higher in the sky, more fish
appeared. They cruised into this shallow area with their backs out of the
water catching the rays and unfortunately the angler who was in prime
position showed no signs of wanting
to leave – I don’t blame him! I opted
to fish the next peg along as I had a
feeling that the fish wouldn’t stay in
this area for the night, so maybe I
could trap one as they made their
way back into the main lake when the
temperature dropped at night. It wasn’t long before I heard a shout from
the next peg to do pictures of a nice
mid-20 mirror – a lovely dark, old
looking fish. I was quietly confident of
nicking one in the next peg along, I
cast two rigs out to what seemed to
be the route the fish had taken to
come into the duck feed area. My
choice of presentations were Fruit
Smoothy/Fruit Juice snowman and a
single Fruit Juice pop-up. Hopefully
the fish would leave the area by the
same route, and all I could do now
was wait.
Morning seemed to arrive in the
blink of an eye. There was no sign of a
carp in the area that I was fishing, and
it was time to leave to get to work. I
was already planning my next visit
while I was stuck in traffic on the way
to the factory. I felt there was little
wrong with the single hookbait/light
baiting approach. Surely this was
more likely to get me a quick bite in
the 24-hour window that I intended
to spend on the mere each week? I
just had to get on those fish because I
knew that one peg away may as well
be a mile away on there at times.
I returned again the following Sunday morning; it was warm and overcast and I saw no signs of any carp
while I sat in the van by the railings
this time. I finished my brew and had
a wander up to the Meadow to get a
good view of the main lake, which
was flat calm on this occasion. Three
anglers were packing away to head
home and I noticed three fish cruising
close in by some weed that had
grown in front of the last peg named
Three Oaks. One of the lads who was
packing away mentioned that he’d
tried to fish this swim but the weed
just clogged up the line all the time
Using a storm pole to carry my line over the weed meant that I could fish
effectively in a swim that no one else fancied!


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen