freeline-25 - Page 120

Get on the Artisan!
ent story though as the wind had
changed to a southwesterly as
promised by my weather pro app.
There was a nice steady breeze
slowly pushing into my swim and by
midday I’d seen a couple of fish show.
I’d found a few spots beforehand and
actually started to feel good for a bite.
Clarissa and Emmi (her two-year-old
daughter) came down to visit me
about 3pm for a few hours and in that
time we’d seen five or six fish show in
my swim. A couple of these were over
my middle rod that was fished
towards the far margin reedline just
off a little bay in the reeds, this particular spot had about 2kg of boilie on
offer. I reeled in at 7pm to let them
both out of the gate as it was nearly
Emmi’s bedtime, much to Clarissa’s
disappointment as she loves being at
the lake, and I could sense a little jealousy from her as I waved her goodbye
down the road.
I was soon back at my swim and
put my baits back out on the spots,
still not feeling overly confident but
felt like I had half a chance for once. I
retired to my pit about 11pm and had
only seen a couple more shows during that time. I awoke the following
morning with that feeling of defeat
that we all get, me more than others
during this season’s fishing. I was up
about 6:30am with a cup of tea in
hand, looking out across the pond. I
was thinking to myself, will I ever
catch another carp from this place? I
cooked myself a couple of sausage
and bacon baguettes, which were
quite large. When I eat too much food
I get tired and if allowable sometimes
I will have a little snooze. I needed to
be off of the lake around 10:30am as I
planned to go out for the day with
Clarissa and told her I would be round
at midday.
The next thing I knew I was woken
from my “too much food” sleep at
11:30. I rolled over on my bed and
looked out towards the spot my middle rod was fishing to as the Delkim
was screaming. “Bloody swans,” I
said out loud, but no swans were in
the area. I had a quick scan of the
swim and actually saw that there was
no bird life in the area either. That’s
when it finally sunk in – it was actually a bite. I was straight down to my
rods and commenced battle with my
fourth Manor carp. I hadn’t had a bite
since the Bulldog on 23rd June, which
went 36lb so you can imagine this all
seemed so surreal to me, as it was
now 2nd September.
I played the fish with caution as it
kited away from the reeds and into
the safety of open water. I slipped on
my waders and slowly shifted out into
the lake with my net, so that I could
gain a bit of depth to land the fish. It
felt like a good’un as most of the
Manor fish do, but I didn’t quite know
how good this fish was. It surfaced
about ten yards out and I got my first
glimpse of my prize, which looked like
a twenty at first. The fish slowly but
surely plodded towards me and that’s
(Above) “Greg Ellis still waiting for a
bite on the Manor.” I must admit
Spencer, you made me laugh with this
(Bottom) Stella at 47lb 8oz.
when I got my chance to see what I
was actually attached to. She came
snaking in towards me and I saw a
big mirror that was two-tone in
colour, and with the sheer size of this
fish I was pretty certain it was Stella.
This is the time I usually worry, but
I stayed calm, kept my cool and proceeded to carry on as if I hadn’t just
seen what I’d actually seen. After a
minute of pure adrenaline and shaky
legs she was soon safely in the folds
of my net. “Get in there,” I said to
myself. The new bait with added
Robin Red had done me proud. I
secured the fish in the net and quickly
sprinted around the other side of the
lake to get another member to do the
honours with the camera. As I
approached him I asked if he could do
some photos for me. I said, “I’ve got a
lump, it’s two tone in colour and I’m
pretty sure it’s Stella,” and with that
we were both on our way back to the
End Pads.
We got the essentials ready and a
supply of water for when the fish was
up on the bank. We both hoisted her
out of the lake and up the steps onto
the waiting mat. I began to peel the
net away and pick the weed off, and I
finally revealed my prize. It was a real
brute of a fish and could’ve only been
one of the big girls. Yessss, it was
Stella for sure. She pulled the needle
round to 47lb 8oz and was a new personal best for me. We rattled off a few
really good photos and returned her
to the pond where dreams are made –
what a fish. I’ve only got one more
thing to say now. “GET ON THE


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen