freeline-28 - Page 158

A Long Time Winter Ambition Achieved
didn’t happen. I started to wonder
whether the open water was the right
thing to be doing and decided that
when I returned on Monday I would
perhaps fish a different approach.
Well, Monday I spent a fair amount
of the morning wandering round Sutton hoping to see a sign of life, but
after a few hours of nothingness I had
to make a decision whether to give it
another go in the Gate or try something else and fish another area. I
eventually opted to give the Beach a
go and just fish short off the front of
the hangers, so after returning to the
van and getting my kit I got a couple
or rigs tied and looked at getting the
rods out. The left rod saw a multi rig
with a white chocolate pop-up
attached and the right rod saw a
snowman rig with a double Vor-tex
hookbait. A dozen or so 16mm freebies were then scattered round each
I didn’t expect to see anything to
be honest, as going by the last couple
of sessions things were quiet, but less
than a couple of hours after getting
the rods out a carp rolled bang on
over my left rod. As I sat there watching the rod in the hope of it bursting
into life, I saw the line flicker and pull
slightly tight before falling slack
again. I was convinced that suddenly
I was in with a decent shout, and that
any minute now was going to get a
take. Ten minutes later I did get that
take, but as soon as I picked the rod
up I knew I had got a bloody bream
on, and also that my chance of a carp
bite had just been buggered up. After
dealing with the fish, I sharpened up
a new hook, replaced it, and then
carefully and with as little disturbance as possible I got the rig back in
place. The rest of the day was quiet
though, so just on dark I put a few
baits out around the left rod and then
settled in for the night.
Nothing happened for the next 24
hours, but at 8.20 the following
evening I saw a fish roll about 15
yards out just beyond the right rod.
An hour later I saw another roll, this
time slightly further left and further
out towards the Dead Tree swim. The
balance of the session was quiet
though, and before I knew it I had
done my 48 hours and needed to get
packed up.
From Sutton I headed off down
towards Ringwood and to the Southern Club Water. Snow had been forecast, and with how well the pit had
been fishing of late I felt there could
be a chance of eventually fulfilling a
lifelong ambition and go catch myself
a snow carp. On arrival there was no
one on, and as on my last visit I’d has
a few from the deeper water I decided
to head back to that area. I had the
spots written down in my diary from
before, so after walking out the rods
and clipping them up, I put both out
on the same spot – one as a pop-up
with a 16mm Pineapple and N’Butyric
yellow on the multi rig and the other
as a snowman with a 20mm Vor-tex
bottom bait tipped with a 16mm
pineapple. Once the rods were out I
then spombed out 3kg of mixed 16
and 20mm Vor-tex free offerings out
in a spread area over the hookbaits. A
lot of you will think that’s too much
bait for a winter session, but I knew
that the place had been doing fish,
that they were all slightly down in
weight and I thought they could be
hungry. Because of this I thought that
if I could give them an easily
digestible food then I could get something going and I could have a few
Well the first night was quiet
although I did hear a fish go over not
far off the baited area. At 5.25am I
was woken by liners on both rods and
this continued for around five minutes. At 8am I had a bream off the left
pop-up rod and then a couple of hours
later I had another one, again off the
same rod. Throughout the day it
remained quiet, and just before dark
Marcus turned up and dropped in
next door to me for a couple of nights
(Top) Next session saw me in the
Beach over on Sutton.
(Left) Yet another stunning Southern
Club Lake sunset.

Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen