freeline-29 - Page 130

48 Hours On The Church
back up the tree again, to fetch my
drink that was wedged between two
branches more than anything, but
also to see if the fish were still sticking to their patrol route.
Just then, the right hand rod, positioned closest to the bank, let out a
short burst of bleeps as the bobbin fell
to all the way down. I ran over to the
rod, and just as I got to it, the bobbin
smacked the rod and the line pinged
from the clip! This fish did exactly the
same thing – bow waving at a fair
speed out of the swim, leaving me no
option but to give it line. This fish did
feel a bit smaller than the previous
fish, making rapid lunges and banging its head a lot on a short line, but I
was still overjoyed when a fully
scaled mirror went into the net. Lew
came around after seeing me in the
water again with a rod and a net. We
repeated the same process as last
time, and I soon slipped back a beautiful low-mid 20 fully scaled mirror.
Lew stayed around for a quick
cuppa whilst I got a fresh rig tied and
got it back out on the spot first time. I
sat there behind the reeds watching
the water, massively confident of
another take, but nothing happened
27lb 6oz of perfectly-proportioned mirror.
until the evening. I decided that after
the success of the first morning, I
would set my brolly up and do the
night in this swim. I was actually
halfway through setting my brolly up
when the right hand rod again let out
a small flurry of bleeps. Again, the
bobbin fell right down and the line fell
completely slack, before the line
tightened up, the bobbin hit the rod
and the line pulled from the clip – a
classic zig take.
I picked up the rod and unsurprisingly, the culprit did exactly the same
thing as the others, leaving the swim
at a fair speed and heading in the
same direction. This fish, like the others, took maybe 30-40 yards of line
before my steady pressure turned it. I
must have gained a further ten yards
when – disaster! The hook pulled. I
said some naughty words under my
breath before winding the rig in and
forcefully putting my rod against my
brolly. What I did notice was that on
this occasion, the lead had stayed on.
Now I like to use big leads when I use
zigs for two reasons: Firstly, I think
that on an already tight hooklink, a
big lead will just keep the rig in place
as it enters the fish’s mouth, hopefully
catching somewhere in the bottom of
the mouth. Secondly, as the fish
shakes its head and charges off, a big
lead should discharge from the clip
much easier, especially when I wasn’t
using a tail rubber! I couldn’t help
thinking that the lead staying on was
the main reason this fish had fallen
I had a bit of a sulk whilst tying up
another identical rig, this time cutting
down the arm on the tail rubber to
make absolutely sure the lead discharged on the take. I got it back out
again perfectly, and whilst I was
there, I recast the other two rods for
the night. The lake looked magnificent as the sun started to set, and I
didn’t pass up on the opportunity to
get my camera out. I sat and listened
for probably two or three hours of
darkness and heard half a dozen fish
in the general area of my two open
water rods. I finally hopped into my
bag at about 1am, and just as luck
would have it, my right-hand rod rattled off as I was doing the zip up.
I quickly hopped out of bed, picked
up the rod and rolled up my joggers
as I waded into the edge. This fish,
unlike the others, had charged off

Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen