freeline-29 - Page 131

48 Hours On The Church
down the margin to my right hand
side, which was a bit of a problem due
to an aerator that was in the water. I
had no option but to follow the fish
down the margins, battling my way
through the reeds with a rod in one
hand and a net in the other. In the
moonlight I saw a huge swirl right
next to the aerator, which was the last
thing I wanted! I clamped down on
the fish, plunging the rod well tip well
below the surface of the water, and
held on as the fish was still determined to take line. Looking back, it
was inevitable that something was
going to give, and give it did. The line
fell slack and I wound in the complete
rig, minus the lead. The hook had
pulled. I was absolutely gutted! The
first morning had been awesome with
two nice fish quickly, and a method
that would surely continue to score
for the remainder of my session, considering the weather conditions.
Unfortunately this good patch had
almost been cancelled out by two
losses in a row! I tied a new rig again,
got it back out and went straight to
bed, so I couldn’t think about it any
First light soon came, and I had had
no further action through the night. I
made myself a brew and watched the
lake as the sun burnt off the early
morning mist. I gave it a couple of
hours before winding in and going to
see Lew and telling him about the
previous night’s events. Unfortunately he hadn’t had a take yet, so he
decided to change over to zigs as
well. On my way back round to my
swim, I had a quick look from up the
tree. The fish were clearly visible, and
again sticking to the same patrol
route as the day before. I jumped
straight down and got all three rods
out again as quickly as possible, hoping for a quick bite! I didn’t have to
wait long as about 15 minutes after
putting the rods out, the middle rod
was away. Unlike the others, this fish
didn’t take any line off me throughout
the whole fight, even under the tip.
Lew came around and netted what
looked like a good upper 20 mirror for
me. Brilliant – confidence back! On
the scales she weighed 27lb 6oz and
was a lovely carp, well proportioned
with a lovely rounded tail and big
shoulders. Lew took some shots of
both sides for me before I slipped her
back and put the kettle on.
I got the rod back out shortly after
that, but nothing happened for the
rest of the day, so I decided to wind in
and go for a couple of laps with my
Polaroids at about 4pm. The fish were
clearly not where they had been, and
I wasn’t at all surprised when I found
a large group of fish at the other end
of the lake. With only 14 hours or so
left, I ran back to my swim, packed up
and legged it round to the other side
to fish the night. I quickly flicked the
marker about to three areas I had just
seen fish to get the depth for my zigs,
and after no more than 15 minutes I
had three fresh zigs out in the new
My next take came at about 7pm,
on the middle rod positioned just past
the edge of the island. I had to give
this fish quite a lot of stick due to fishing past the edge of the island, but
with a bit of pressure, the fish was
soon plodding in open water out in
front. I shouted to Lew, who came
round just as I got the fish into the
net. He was shocked that I had
moved, especially after having five
bites at the other end, but after I told
him what I had seen and then getting
a bite, he agreed that I had made the
28lb 12oz mirror – well worth the move!

Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen