freeline-29 - Page 145

In Search of a Lincolnshire 40
One for the spring.
hot day, and I knew all the way there
that I was going to find a few that
night. I wasn’t disappointed, as the
first place I looked I found six fish in
some snags. I then carried on my
walk and found the odd fish cruising
around, but it was difficult to see
which fish they were, plus my surface
rod wasn’t set up.
Further round, near my baited area,
I found a couple of the small commons close in grubbing around on a
small, clear area and taking it in turns
to flank the bottom. Nothing beats
watching the fish acting totally naturally. Now I was in a quandary: do I
just get set up in the baited area or do
I fish for the fish in the snags? I couldn’t ignore those fish in the snags and
thought I would give it an hour. When
I got back to the snags there were still
fish present, but I couldn’t see how
many or which fish they were
because it was now clouded up; they
had dropped and were feeding in the
silty margin. I went round above the
snags and tried to spook the fish out
to get a rod in, but this was in vain;
they just weren’t budging. In fact
whilst I was throwing pellets and half
boilies in on their heads, one head
and shouldered twice on the spot.
Whatever was down there they certainly liked and nothing was moving
In the end I thought, if I spook these
they probably won’t come back
tonight, so I waded a bait out and
dropped it amongst them; they were
none the wiser. I started sinking my
fluorocarbon and wading back to the
bank, when half way back the line
plucked and reactively I struck, thinking it was a bite. What an idiot! I’d
struck at a liner! I thought that was
the chance gone, but I went round to
check the snags and to my surprise
they were all still there feeding their
heads off – it was still game on! I
waded out again to the spot that was
now clouding up really badly from the
silt. I was just about to swing the rig
out of my hand when a good common, one we now call Orange Spot,
popped up out of the silt cloud. I froze
and did my best to just blend into the
bankside trees, as you do in those situations.
This was all in vain though, as the
fish was no more that three yards
away and swimming straight at me. I
was stood straight in front of it in its
blind spot, so it didn’t see me initially.
As if in slow motion it just drifted
straight at me. It kept coming, and
just as I thought it was going to swim
into me, it turned no more than two
feet away from me, and on seeing me
bolted out of the area at an alarming
rate, spooking two of his mates in the
process. I never did make that cast,
and simply loaded the barrow and
headed to the baited area.
That night I set up in the new
baited area, I don’t know what possessed me to move from a swim that
had done me five bites in five nights,
but I did. Five bites in a year can be
good going on this water, and I was
going to move! I don’t know why; it
just felt right, and I thought the new
area would produce the lake’s bigger
residents. After unloading the barrow
in the new swim, I set about wading
my baits out. I waded out the three
rods; two of them about 35 yards to a
stepped clear area in the weed, which
was about the size of a dinner table,
and the other rod a little closer to the
left of the swim on spot a little bigger
than a dustbin lid. I baited each spot
with a few N-Gage XP boilies and a
few Betaine HNV pellets that had
been pre-soaked in the awesome
Feedstim XP, and hookbaits were
soaked in N-Gage XP bait dip.

Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen